Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your tracker / format of choice? And why?  (Read 83027 times)

phate

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: What's your tracker / format of choice? And why?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:14:44 »

Milkytracker and Renoise.

I've never been able to compose in anything but a vertical sequencing environment. I can't stand to pull myself away from the tracker interface. I began using a pianoroll, but I've always despised them.

Why would I want to use a traditional sequencer when I can have the efficiency of a tracking environment and all of the features of a traditional digital audio workstation?

However, I wish that Milkytracker would adopt user-definable keyboard shortcuts. I've managed to develop a slightly more ergonomic tracking setup in Renoise using my laptop's strange keyboard layout.

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:50:25 »

Mainly Chibitracker and sometimes Renoise.
Why chibi? IT interface and usable built-in reverb & chorus (good for very minor tweaking and helps to save a ton of channels - 64 channels hasn't been enough for me for years). The downside in chibi is a load of bugs but I can live with it. I'll have to live with it since I can't feel myself comfortable with renoise no matter how hard I tried.
So I use Renoise only for the vst/vsti support.

SaxxonPike

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 16:43:05 »

I pretty much grew up using FastTracker. But then I switched to ModPlug for a few years. Then someone mentioned MilkyTracker to me, so I've been using that lately. At times it feels like FT2. But I don't want to change resolutions (because I have a flatscreen, it looks horrible) so in fullscreen mode, I have to deal with tiny buttons! They should at least offer a scaling option or something.

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 17:55:13 »

I use and *love* OpenMPT. The most awesome tracker known to man.
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 16:31:33 »

SaxxonPike: You could mention that in the MilkyTracker forums as a feature request. Their forums are hosted as a sub-forum here at TMA.

Personally, I started with ModPlug Tracker, moved on to over 100 of bad trackers, made my own (Pulse Tracker, vaporware), moved on to sequencers, then to pen and pencil and now I'm tracking with MIDITracker.

If I already had Pulse Tracker II completed somehow, I would be using it a lot instead. ;)
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

Eponasoft

• New User
  • Eponasoft Senior Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Eponasoft
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 22:59:08 »

FastTracker II was my first tracker, and it's where I made my first pieces many a moon ago. However, my preferred tracker is Modplug Tracker and now OpenMPT I guess. :) I prefer IT above all other formats but will always remember my many years of ScreamTracker 3.21 and the at-the-time amazing S3M format which I used in many a game production with BWSB. :D
-- Eponasoft --
Independent Nintendo DS Development

MatrixMaster3

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • MatriM3's Songs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 01:15:37 »

Strangely, I don't like to use computers. I use my DS and Nitrotracker (simplistic, yet sophisticated!)

Also, I didn't know you were here Eponasoft! Good to see you...again...
Check out my music here: MatriM3's Songs
My twitter: here

mcflisk

• New User
    • View Profile
    • McFlisk's Esnips page
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 13:41:29 »

Like most other ancient trackers over here, I started out using FT2 on an old computer with a black and white monitor. I even had to put the songs on floppy and play it at my dad's computer because I didn't have a sound card in my own one. Ahh... how time flies. Nowadays, I use MadTracker2, supported by ModPlugtracker. Even though this program is not ideal, I generally like the FT2-like interface and the wide selection of sample-manipulation tools, which is absolutely necessary for a tracker like me, who uses a lot of voice samples.

Even so, my fav output remains the good ol' xm file, since it's so easy to convert.
No, I didn't record my music in a trashcan..

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 09:18:56 »

I started tracking on the PC in August 2007. After being initially an Amiga Protracker used over a decade ago, leaving tracking to use sequencers and studio hardware for 10+ years, I went to a demoparty up in Norway and found myself the following week playing with Renoise. It's a tracker, but it's more of a studioware application than a true classic tracker, for a start it does not output classic module formats but it's own simply because it's evolved away from such in such a high degree. Still, for music composition I'm loving the new method of working - it's bringing out styles I've never been able to do before but have always wanted to do. (i.e demostyle, electronica etc) I come from a fantasy/orchestral/newage background :)

Here is a result of an early purely sample-based track I made and released at a demoparty (my first release, actually): Crisis - Surprisingly it came 3rd/15! \o/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:21:51 by mZerod »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

eldorado

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 22:03:22 »

my fav format is MOD

because of the feeling of it, its a bit different.

also, being limited to 4 chan is cool.

ftii is my fav tracker, i like the feel of the key combos,

alt f4 alt f5, the space stops, crtl runs, etc.

i like the look of it is fun.

and the code is beautiful.

dont know, i like the taste of it. the overall simple and raw, but 90s pure

look to it. dont mind me anyway,

im just a hippie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up