Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get samples or at most more instrument notes.  (Read 6078 times)

Ribby

• New User
  • the horrible maddess begins!!!
    • View Profile
How to get samples or at most more instrument notes.
« on: July 22, 2008, 06:35:19 »

so.... I was composing and stuff.

I was trying to make a metal tune, but it seems I don't have the neccessary instrument sounds to produce so. I just got sick with what I have (Modplug) and decided to check within some of the tracker songs I like to listen to.

It seems that there are wav formats, and I have to say, lucky them!!! So... I guess I have to resort to getting samples instead of composing with what I have.

The only that comes to mind is how do people make/get their own samples? And if possible, how to get more instrument notes?

P.S.
I found out how to get more channels in Modplug. Just click on the General tab, click on the 'change' button, and make the selection of how many channels you want. Up to 64 :p!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:39:21 by Ribby »

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
Re: How to get samples or at most more instrument notes.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:27:27 »

Hiya Ribby. First up, I think you should upgrade your version of Modplug to the latest OpenMPT release. You can find more OpenMPT info at the Modplug Forums. Also, once you've got a somewhat newer version, you can check out this thread for the very latest versions. :) You can have up to 127 channels, and the underlying engine and VST handling is vastly improved. :D

When it comes to making your own samples, all that you really need for acoustic instruments is an instrument and some way of recording it. Over at Trax In Space, MrSix has been discussing a couple of guitar packs he's putting together in this thread, so that might be worth checking out.

The alternative, of course, is to not use samples, but virtual instruments (VSTis). There are some great ones available at KVR Audio, both free and commercial. One of the most popular (commercial) guitar plugins is Slayer, but there are many others.
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

Ribby

• New User
  • the horrible maddess begins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to get samples or at most more instrument notes.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 18:24:02 »

thanks barryvan for your mention of virtual instruments

I'm going to try to make my own samples.
Pages: [1]   Go Up