Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The 10 most common tracker mistakes  (Read 110923 times)

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Eagle's pulsonal website.
The 10 most common tracker mistakes
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 21:44:25 »

Well, yes, I would have added that if the thread was not so darn old. I may go through it and correct and improve every shit that happens to be in it. Some is bullshit and some is not. I may also add the very defintion of a mistake since people were complaining about how people could make this and that on purphose and it would not be a mistake for this and that reason.
Collecting trackers and sequencers since 2006!

Pootang

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: The 10 most common tracker mistakes
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 01:01:16 »

The british music industry may have to read your post as most of the s&^e sound like that.

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 09:27:12 »

I am honestly thinking of making a complete rewrite of this list sometime. Re-reading it, it is kind of OK. It's just that I am more experienced now and know what I'm talking about (unlike then, hehe). :rolleyes:

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 09:24:36 »

How cliché'ish it may sound, I'll still have to add that the one and the only mistake people ever make is to think that they know "enough" already. There's always new stuff to learn and new ways to improve. So never settle for anything less than perfection (which is impossible to achieve, may I add).

squares

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 23:32:13 »

yeah, the time thing? its pretty easy to write a beat even if your snare and bass are in unconventional places
just for fun and to be stupid, i mad a beat with the bass on 0, the snare on 5, and the high hat on 7
it definetly doesnt sound wrong
you need to listen to more prog rock or free jazz or something...
lots of music doesnt even have a set time... theres nothing saying people cant try to recreate that with mods

null1024

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 01:26:47 »

yeah, the time thing? its pretty easy to write a beat even if your snare and bass are in unconventional places
just for fun and to be stupid, i mad a beat with the bass on 0, the snare on 5, and the high hat on 7
it definetly doesnt sound wrong
you need to listen to more prog rock or free jazz or something...
lots of music doesnt even have a set time... theres nothing saying people cant try to recreate that with mods

That rule only applies if you haven't figured out how to make it sound good yet.
(infact, all the rules (involving the sound of the module) can be broken if it sounds good.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:45:29 by null1024 »

usrfriendly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 10:38:12 »

I do every one of them in every song I make

Louigi Verona

• New User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ctgmusic.com/Louigi%20Verona
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:25:14 »

I think the most common, most serious and most in-depth mistake is number one.

No matter how many modules I've listened to, no matter how many demoparty tracking compos I've seen, in 99% the problem is with composition. The musician writes a good part and then just loops it. He can change the number of instruments, he can pitch the whole tune up half a tone or a tone, but in reality all there is is just one small part. You start the tune, listen it's first 20 seconds and you know that this is what the tune will be about and nothing will change.

The fact that most mod authors fail to write out a good theme development makes thousands of mods sound like sketches or unfinished raw material.

In fact, when I have started a melody compo, which was called One Voice Compo, I saw that most people failed to write a melody. They were used to wrapping their tunes into arrangements, sounds and rhythm, but they were not writing too much musical ideas.

So, I think this is the most important thing to watch out for. Make your tunes develop. Bring surprises. Let your listener get something he does not expect.
quot;If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
Doc Emmet Brown.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 13:43:43 »

I agree with Louigi on his point about musical development.

Also it's easy to tell when inspiration fails; when some people end up just trying to patch on an ending for the sakes of ending. I don't like that.
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Eagle

• Rising Star
  • Technique Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 13:30:53 »

I have been away for a long time but now I am back to finally make a rewrite of this sticky. It pleases me to see it's still here despite my weak formulation. Practically going to keep similiar points to what I have had but rephrased in a way more suitable.

Also taking in some good points from others who have replied to this really old work of mine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up