Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How often do you track?  (Read 18131 times)

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
How often do you track?
« on: January 15, 2009, 16:50:21 »

Hi again, lads.

I am just wondering how often do you do your module music. Sometimes I don't touch a tracker in months and that's making me mad sometimes. So I just fire up Milky or Renoise, play my unfinished tracks and come with no expansion, no ideas. So I close them again. And then my consciense keeps on telling me that I'm wasting time doing this and that when I could be tracking instead.

How often do YOU really track?
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: How often do you track?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 17:03:00 »

I used to make new songs (or edit old ones) daily in the good old days, but I haven't touched OpenMPT that often during the last few months. At least not for being creative. Listening to other tunes yes, but doing new ones no.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 18:11:21 »

Playing unfinished tracks and not doing a damn thing about them sounds very familiar, unfortunately. Over the last decade my prj/ directory has been steadily growing and for every finished module, I have at least two unfinished ones waiting in prj/. But I try not to let it bother me that much as megabytes are cheap and every once in a while I DO finish a module in there. It's just too easy to write down an idea and then leave it to gather dust. How often do I track? Maybe one or two creative bursts each month when I manage to either finish a track or make progress on several.

barryvan

• I can't decide if you're adorable or creepy.
    • View Profile
    • barryvan
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:31:54 »

It varies for me... Sometimes a couple of times a week, sometimes once a month. :) I do tend to get lots of little ideas, though...
www.barryvan.com.au - design & music

the barryvan compo - Bimonthly inspiration-based compo

barryvan  @ Last.fm

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:42 »

Phew, nice to hear that, I was beginning to think that maybe tracking is not for me when I track only once in a while. But now I see exactly how it is, thanks for info.

O/T: Well, it seems that you three are one of the very few still active on this forum?
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 13:55:54 »

Well, a moderator has to do his job, so... ;D

No really, there were maybe more people active in the past, but it's not like the forums are dying away... I think.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 19:05:11 »

On every forum you have only a few regulars and then the rest are occasional posters. Nothing exceptional. Here, it's only in smaller scale, that's all.
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 21:20:29 »

Just because you don't get many replies to your own posts doesn't mean people are not reading the forums - I myself wasn't really motivated to reply anyway, except to mention this :D.

Now, in response to your query:

I spent a a good year to two years without any inspiration, these days it's an on-off thing. Now that I actually track (in Renoise), rather than use my studio gear, I find the work flow change refreshing, but only so much so.

Like at least once a week but then nothing really gets done unless I'm on a roll.
:)
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Oliwerko

• In Construction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:34:13 »

Wow, year or two? Pretty long. It's interesting, I for example have my creative side show and I track for weeks almost constantly, but then four months nothing happens. Weird.

And yes, I know that it's not only users in my threads that are active, but in almost every thread there are the few of you that show up just everywhere  :D
I'm not afraid of death.
I'm afraid of murder.

djkrpt

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 13:44:56 »

I remember the good old days of finishing a track every day or two... but after experimenting and then trying to write some "serious" music, discovering all the effects and ways to speed up (or slow down!) the tracking process etc etc...

What I'm trying to say is that I've been down the road of listening to my unfinished tunes and not having a clue what to do with them, let alone finishing them, and it can be very annoying, almost enough to make you throw in the towel completely and go back to the TV! Almost...

After a 5 year hiatus which included a lot of messing around with Buzz Tracker (only two or three tunes actually finished in that time) I'm happy to have Schism and hope to get back into it, if not every day then at least whenever I can.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up