Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: module names questions  (Read 5664 times)

darwin

• New User
    • View Profile
    • David Chmelik homesite
module names questions
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:02:17 »

A couple times when I uploaded stuff, apparently because I uploaded new versions, numbers were added to the beginnings of my modules. Is there a way to upload new versions without that happening. Also, is there a way to rename modules to get rid of these numbers, or just to change the name if one wants?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: module names questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:11:19 »

You can do a search if the module name in question is already taken (the best method to prevent this is to prefix your module name with your artist name). I'm afraid there is currently no way to rename modules.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

darwin

• New User
    • View Profile
    • David Chmelik homesite
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 14:22:14 »

I said I uploaded new versions of (my) modules; obviously I was not talking about replacing somene else's modules, which I think was crystal clear in my first post.

So, there is no way to rename these modules that had numbers added on to them, back to the old module name? What can people do, keep uploading new versions? If I do that just to change it back, what will you do, and why has this not been addressed, if you know people will do this and you have to change it manually? It was not I who chose this number for the beginning of my module names, and it should not be forced, but admins should not be forced to change it either.

Is it actually now that I had a module with one name and it is deleted, its name is banned, like TiS may do, and the new one with the number has to have the number on the front of its name? If that is how it works, I can see how you sort of set it up like a version system.

However, I think it is important to have a way to update modules, rather than just having all this 'web 2.0' stuff. Most of my modules need work. The ones I did re-upload had minor changes--mostly/all just important corrections, which should be allowed. If I uploaded something drastically different, like a  'version 2' with much added, I see why you might want to keep a different version, but then of course I would call it a different name anyway and it would not have the number added to the beginning.

However, what if someone also wants to update their contact info, etc., in their modules?

I think my original concern was not understood and was avoided, which is why I got into all this rambling and speculation. It is not that I have any more that need musical corrections, but name corrections (getting rid of those numbers TMA software added to the titles, because as I think I clearly said, at the time they were uploaded, I already had modules of those names) and updates, and I want to change all my module names in the future to a more uniform and format (and hopefully more musically clear names,) which I have not decided yet.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 15:06:23 »

- I don't have access to the backend code. I have talked with m0d about the ability to rename files before, but nothing has come out of that yet.
- So for the time being, you will have to check if a file name is already taken, period.
- Uploads to TMA are permanent. Modules cannot be deleted or changed, and that it's intentional. TMA is not a Web 2.0 file sharing website, it's an archive as the name says, and all uploads are permanent (there are very few exceptions to this rule, "updating contact information" is not one of them).
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up