Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Size limit for ProTracker samples  (Read 31924 times)

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Size limit for ProTracker samples
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:48 »

Since MOD is predominantly used for Amiga modules, I have modified the MOD exporter to limit sample sizes to 64k.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 13:47:06 »

I think this could be handy but should be optional. Why limit editing/making non-Amiga MODs? It's 20+ years too late. ;)

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 19:04:31 »

What is a non-Amiga mod anyway?  Surely you'd use .XM for anything on the PC.

Creating .mod files that aren't compatible with Protracker/Amiga is like creating .XM files that aren't compatible with FastTrackerII!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 22:47:39 »

Well, people create MOD files for all kinds of reasons, being able to play them with ProTracker isn't always one. Also keep in mind that there's ProTracker for Atari platforms for example, not sure if there's a 64k limit there, same with various Amiga replayers (since there are many Amiga trackers that can actually handle bigger samples). So yeah, as raina said, this should probably be optional. Especially when considering MOD files with more than 4 channels.

Creating .mod files that aren't compatible with Protracker/Amiga is like creating .XM files that aren't compatible with FastTrackerII!
ProTracker is just a big hack upon an existing format (Ultimate Soundtracker), remember that? So why shouldn't we just limit our MODs to 1xx/2xx effects, 9kb per sample and only 15 samples? ;) MOD is a very loosely defined format, there are many variations of it and many programs that support it, and while ProTracker might have been the most common tool on the Amiga to create MODs, there are dozens of other popular MOD trackers out there.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 21:56:59 »

I've changed it to display a warning when samples are over 64k in size, but limit the sample size to 128k (the maximum possible in the mod format).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up