Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone used GUS (Gravis UltraSound) patches for their music  (Read 9854 times)

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile

I wonder if anyone has used GUS patches for their music, because while the KIArchive instruments are good, I think beginners like me should use a smaller set of instruments such as GUS patches.  There are three available patch sets: DGGUSPAT (from Doomworld, totally public domain), EAWPATs (most are public domain, some are copyrighted), and Freepats (open-source, has most but not all instruments).  Tell me what you think of them or your experience using them.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Has anyone used GUS (Gravis UltraSound) patches for their music
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 00:43:11 »

Are you now talking about audio files in the PAT format? Because that doesn't make much sense in the context of the rest of your question. The sample format does not matter when it comes to simplicity for beginners. "DGGUSPAT" is the original set of patches that came with the Gravis Ultrasound. It's simply a set of 128 instruments that fit the General MIDI standard. I don't know about those other sets but I assume they are all GM-compatible as well, and distributed as PAT files. However, if you really want to stick to General MIDI sets, there are thousands of SF2 and DLS sound banks out there which all follow the same set of instruments as the ones found in the original GUS package.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 21:00:52 »

Of course I'm talking about the audio format

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 23:29:35 »

How's that relvant for tracked music though? PATs contain waveforms, just like WAV files or any other sample format for that matter. The source format of the waveform does not matter all once the waveform is in the module. Does it matter if the samples I use were in PAT, WAV, FLAC or whatever format? And how does that have anything to do with "beginners like me should use a smaller set of instruments"? Again, the original set of GUS Patches is a General MIDI set, if you want to restrict yourself to those 128 instruments you can use any GM soundbank, no matter if it's distributed as PAT files or anything else.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:22:51 »

While I don't mind plain old WAV samples, the problem is the the freely usable samples such as the OLPC ones are tricky to loop.  I am using MilkyTracker so I can make XM files that are compatible with any tracker that supports them.  However, I do have a problem with the patch sets:  Most of them are off key when I play them.  I also tried Open MPT, they do not play the C note.  How do I fix this other than changing the notes of the samples or instruments?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:53:13 »

You change the relative note and tuning of the sample in the instrument settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up