Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you don't like in modules  (Read 9237 times)

Bryd0

Things you don't like in modules
« on: March 03, 2016, 14:37:33 »

I know we all don't like bad music especially in a place like this but, are there any things in modules, whether it's something that really irritates you or a minor issue you're not pleased with, that you don't like?

For me, I don't like it when a module contains mismatching beats, constant repetition, lack of style and poor-quality samples. Another thing I don't like are vocals most of the times even of a squealing woman slipped in. That really turns me off even if the composition itself is good (but I can always zap them on MilkyTracker if I must).

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Things you don't like in modules
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 23:51:13 »

It's not specific to modules (why should it?), but people re-using the same samples/instruments again and again and again... for me it's a sign of lack of creativity. If every of your tunes sounds the same, expect me to get bored very quickly.
I guess my standards are a bit higher, I'd throw a module with mismatched beats right away before raging about it, but among the stuff that remains I dislike things that keep reusing the same super-simple chord progressions (e.g. no modulations, always the same chord type, etc.) - but it's not necessarily a killer criterion since there are always exceptions both in the module and commercial world (tune with essentially just one chord and I still like it? Check.)
And yes, bad vocals can be horrible, but again not only in modules. ;)
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Bryd0

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 07:35:46 »

It's not specific to modules (why should it?), but people re-using the same samples/instruments again and again and again... for me it's a sign of lack of creativity. If every of your tunes sounds the same, expect me to get bored very quickly.
Oh yes, I can agree with that completely. Then again, I've not come across anything like that (yet).

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 20:58:50 »

Let's say that there are a few artists here who regularly upload. :)
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

ModTomIT

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:13:14 »

You of course may have any opinion you want, but consider that there are many more aspects to music than the samples used, and I do not see how using the same samples for different songs over and over again is different from composing for the same instrument over and over again. No one would criticize for instance, Chopin, for composing for the piano only for much of his career. I am guilty of using a single square sample in much of my music, and I did so to make beauty out of the fundamental waveform of digital electronics. I want to say though, the music only sounds the same if you don't take into account other aspects of the music besides the timbre. I believe the creativity lies in the harmony, melody, song development, etc.

Of course I've largely moved on from using a single square sample but I felt it necessary to defend the practice.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 14:02:26 »

No one would criticize for instance, Chopin, for composing for the piano only for much of his career
As someone who has had classic piano lessons for ten years, I can say that I dislike listening to piano-only music repeatedly just as much as I dislike listening to the same square wave sample again and again. ;)
We have had the means to innovate for at least the last century, so why latch onto an old concept that existed because there was no other way?
Remember, the thread title is "Things you don't like in modules", not "Things that are universally disliked".
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 14:39:31 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Open ModPlug Tracker

ModTomIT

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 21:26:43 »

As someone who has had classic piano lessons for ten years, I can say that I dislike listening to piano-only music repeatedly just as much as I dislike listening to the same square wave sample again and again. ;)
We have had the means to innovate for at least the last century, so why latch onto an old concept that existed because there was no other way?
Remember, the thread title is "Things you don't like in modules", not "Things that are universally disliked".

Well, I just wanted to give my perspective on the practice. I, of course, cannot convince you to like my music and that's okay.

fuzion_mixer

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 19:08:59 »

"Things that are universally disliked" is varied amongst individuals, from music prodigies to newly-learnt pianists. Seeing that it's quite an abstract topic to talk about, I am fascinated by this world and it's 'unseen flaws', this being one of them.

Some people really like that classic, stuck-in-time feeling (I might be in this category). I've never gone parallel to the current trend of pop songs (ever since ~2012) and I find myself getting lost amidst the people who are up-to-date while I'm staying in one corner of the room, wishing it all to revert time to 'pre-abomination of pop culture'.

Other students in my school (and even some of my friends, obviously) are listening to "Hello", "Flick of The Wrist", you know....the current trend (pretty much all I know of recently), even to the extent of memorising every single word and the choreography, while I'm just sitting back, glancing with...umm...intents to stupefy them while listening to 'obscure, dance modules' I downloaded on my phone (with earpiece, of course, so that they won't find me a disturbance).

But ironically, I find it rather satisfying...to know that I might be the only student in my school to know of modules' existence. I guess not, now that I introduced my best friend to the world beyond tales and lore.

I have no idea why I'm typing this as a reply totally unrelated to the initial topic, but I feel like I had to let it out.

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 18:34:00 »

Have you listened to Quasian's Damask Rose?  It is one of the best modules I ever heard!  The samples are high quality, and none of the melody is repetitive.  The song perfectly fits with a shmup level.

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:35:26 »

Uneven stereo field, especially in drums (panned bassdrums being the worst offender). Universally applies to all music created with any software, but trackers had a bad habit of making the mistake more than other music producers. That is the only single thing I believe is not up to taste, it just sounds bad every time (or worse than an even stereo field would sound).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:42:12 by Ceekayed »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up