Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Open MPT have OPL support, and should it have it?  (Read 9732 times)

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile
Does Open MPT have OPL support, and should it have it?
« on: April 03, 2016, 00:29:04 »

So you know that Scream Tracker 3 can use FM instruments, right?  I was amazed to find out that Scream Tracker 3 can use samples and FM instruments at the same time.  I wonder if Open MPT can play S3M modules with FM instruments.  If not, it needs that support.  I don't want to have to use Scream Tracker 3 on DOSBox or FreeDOS.  The only alternatives I have are to either use VSTis or make samples from FM sounds. 

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Does Open MPT have OPL support, and should it have it?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 13:41:38 »

No, see our FAQ: Can you add support for SID / SNDH / AHX / AdLib / other formats?.
In addition to what the FAQ says, OPL emulation for S3M playback is quirky, SchismTracker has added it but it doesn't sound quite right, and I wouldn't add it it OpenMPT unless it sounded perfect. Which e.g. Schism's implementation does not.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

zzo38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 06:18:40 »

The .VGM format could also be used; it supports samples and FM at the same time, as well as other things.

However I too would like to know the proper playback routines for Adlib in S3M; when combined with the OPL emulation it can make proper sound.
AmigaMML???

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:27:44 »

VGM is an export/logging format, so basically just a dump of values from a sound chip's registers on a timeline. It can be the result of capturing sound generated by anything like a game or a demo or it could be exported from a music editor. But it's only intended for playback as it doesn't have structure like modules do. I'm not saying it would be totally impossible to import the format in an editor with concepts like patterns and instruments but I imagine it would be a humongous feat and still the results would be less than perfect and certainly not what the original composer was working with.

(And even if you could load the source file from whatever editor was used to create a .vgm, OpenMPT doesn't have FM emulation as stated.)

zzo38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:33 »

I certainly did not say that OpenMPT should be able to open VGM. I am saying it could be used if you want to store music that uses FM and other stuff (and there are some programs to use to write such music; I have written one but have not maintained it in a long time).
AmigaMML???

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:16:53 »

Ah, I see.

K_Jose

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 20:43:00 »

As of now, OpenMPT now supports OPL emulation on S3M and MPTM modules.
Pages: [1]   Go Up