Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow for composing adlib s3m  (Read 6908 times)

Jay

• View Profile
Workflow for composing adlib s3m
« on: April 16, 2016, 22:15:54 »

Right, so it turns out ST3 is littered with bugs. Gasp! Who knew?!

I'm trying to make some hybrid FM + digi tunes but I haven't hit on a process that really works. The biggest issue for me is creating or browsing saved instruments tends to corrupt the display (but surprisingly this doesn't seem to affect the module being edited, if you save it & reload it's fine.)

Schism works but the playback isn't right (like at all.) Right now my process is to have ST3 running on Dosbox and Schsim open side-by-side. I can browse modules for likely instruments with Schism, save them out, load them into *my* module, save it, and jump back to ST3 to edit or see what they actually sound like.

Is there a better way to do this? Is there any other tracker that can write hybrid modules that I'm not aware of?

(Note: before anyone says "CDFM" the point is I'm trying to *avoid* aggrivating bugs and crashes. So not that. :P )

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Workflow for composing adlib s3m
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 23:46:00 »

Since you mentioned CDFM (:P), I suppose you do not rule out using other formats?
If you are just after the general "Tracker PCM + OPL" sound, you could try OpenMPT or any other tracker with VST support, and use the JuceOPLVSTi for faithful OPL reproduction alongside with regular samples.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

zzo38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:08:57 »

Would VGM format be suitable?
AmigaMML???

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:15:30 »

The track I'm working on is already an s3m, but it wouldn't take too long to re-write in something else (it's 4 patterns long. :P) Does VGM support samples?

I was *vaguely* hoping to release this as an s3m or other oldschool format but I'm not married to the idea. The actual thing I'm using it in will need an mp3/ogg/whatever file anyway.

@Saga - that's a really cool looking VSTi that I wasn't aware of. Gonna have to play with it some. The OSX build is still pretty experimental though.

I actually thought of another solution: work in IT and use an external MIDI device for FM. (Specifically my Yamaha CX5M-II running MIDISlav.) Might try that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:22:54 by Jay »

zzo38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 20:42:22 »

The track I'm working on is already an s3m, but it wouldn't take too long to re-write in something else (it's 4 patterns long. :P) Does VGM support samples?
VGM has commands for many kind of sound chips (including multiples at once), and I believe some of them support samples. I think OPL4 will do both FM and samples together (you will have to determine the correct clock rate for this usage and unfortunately I do not know what it is), although you can also use multiple sound chips if needed.

I was *vaguely* hoping to release this as an s3m or other oldschool format but I'm not married to the idea.
DOS .COM format would probably do it but it isn't really a proper music format anyways. VGM uses the commands of many old sound chips although there are the new version of VGM format.

The actual thing I'm using it in will need an mp3/ogg/whatever file anyway.
In that case it should not matter if you use VST or external MIDI devices or multiple files or whatever.
AmigaMML???
Pages: [1]   Go Up