Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb song I really want to hear again  (Read 4723 times)

w00tguy123

• New User
    • View Profile
Dumb song I really want to hear again
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:08:16 »

I only have very vague memories about it now:

It was a peaceful/happy/simple sounding song. I picked as the "tutorial island" song for an RPG I was trying to make. A lot of the music I've found here sounds amazing and way more intense and complicated than this song was. I don't think there were more than a few channels playing at once, and the instruments were pretty simple and derpy, iirc.

It was about 10 years ago (< 2008 to be safe) that I first heard it, but it doesn't look like this site has a "date" filter so that probably doesn't help. I'm pretty sure it was an .xm file because back then I thought it was the coolest format because it had an "x" in it.

When I tried searching for it a few years ago, the terms I used were "island", "quest", "adventure" and some synonyms. I was looking for the most generic sounding RPG song that sounded appropriate with a terrible low-effort game. I gave up after considering I probably found it on another site, maybe even one that was xm-specific (I really liked .xm for no good reason). Googling "xm music" wasn't helpful.

I doubt anything I just said is worth much, so I'm planning to do a brute force search through every file on this site, but that's going to take forever if I just go one-by-one using the online player. Any tips or links to other sites that might be worth searching? Maybe there is some torrent with all the mod files here so I can quickly skip through tracks?

ncovert

Re: Dumb song I really want to hear again
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 17:28:40 »

If you can remember any other attributes about the song, like its filesize (based on the "simple and derpy" instruments, I would guess probably less than 100kb), its length, or tempo, you may have better luck finding it.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 18:13:16 »

If you could somehow re-track/play/hum the melodies (if you remember any), that would also be really useful.

But look, there are not that many "island" XMs maybe it's one of these:
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=search&query=*island*.xm&submit=Find&search_type=filename_or_songtitle
Since this will just find filenames containing "island" and ending in XM, you may also searcch for "*island" instead and apply a format filter for XM. This way, you will also find song titles.

Googling "xm music" wasn't helpful.
With tens of thousands of XM files out there, it's a futile search. ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 18:16:06 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

w00tguy123

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 21:37:29 »

Thanks for the search tips.

Unfortunately, any hint of the melody left me many years ago. It was probably all in a major scale, which would explain why I remember it as a happy song.

I've listened to the "island" songs here before, but I can at least say that rainbow_island.xm has a similar level of complexity to the one I'm looking for. It's kind of like something you would hear on a snes or genesis game, but with a different soundfont. There wasn't any percussion, which added to the softness of the track. The tempo was probably around the same as the rainbow_island one, but could have been half that. The length was relatively short, probably no more than a minute or two.

I'm pretty sure I renamed the file immediately after downloading it, so any memories I have of the name could just be me remembering what I renamed it to.

There was no intro or fade out or much else besides the meat of the song. If I found it I think I would recognize it in the first 5 seconds.

This tune is similar to the style/intensity(?) I'm looking for, but that example is way too somber, and the tempo maybe a little too slow, and the melody doesn't stand out enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up