Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: will milky run on gp2x f200?  (Read 28885 times)

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
will milky run on gp2x f200?
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:39:24 »

Is anyone running (or does anyone know of someone running) milky on a gp2x f200?

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: will milky run on gp2x f200?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 19:21:03 »

Is that the new touch-screen one?

Milky ran fine on the original gp2x (using the d-pad to emulate the mouse) so I see no reason why it won't run on the f200.  Also, if the SDL library supports the touch-screen, then you should be able to use that also.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 20:03:32 »

A touch-screen gp2x? Now, THAT sounds interesting.

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 01:00:19 »

Thanks for the repky I just returned a fault ipaq so im thinking of getting one.

All the Ft like fun of milky and all the lsdj like fun of little gptracker AND it can run a version of pure data... who could say no? :)

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 16:10:03 »

My f200 just arrived today.
Cant seem to get milky to run though. I found a page on the file archive (for the gp2x) which suggested making a text file of the script bit of the readme file but it doesnt seem to work.. no file the 2x recognises as anything it can run.
Anyone able to help?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 16:38:07 »

We want to get Milky running on that thing, so pop on #MilkyTracker on EsperNet (you can use the CHAT page on the website) and we'll get things rolling. Mind the Chrimbo though.

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 17:58:34 »

Ill try to pop on there later if im in. Havent had a chance this afternoon so far.

Ive got it to run but it wont quit without crashing (i think more fiddling will sort this out from what i read).

Im not sure if its running ok or not. I couldnt get any sound out of it (but i was rushed and between other jobs so thats prob me). And of course as i have it running its only really reacting to the joypad as it would to a gp2x joystick. Using the touchscreen it reacts but menus leap up and it doesnt really work as it did on the ipaq i tried. Again.. ill play more and try and note down the issues before i come back.

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 00:44:01 »

Ok i cant use any javascript on this pc so just whilst i remember....

I could only get sound by restarting after checking the force 2^n box in config and restarting. Not sure what this option is though....

I cant seem to quit the prog without it just going to a black screen and staying there.

I guess these are both general gp2x issues. If the first isnt ideal then id like to work out how to change it sincei plan to use milky quite a lot this year. As for the 2nd it seems some people dont have the same issue so itd be nice to be able to close and open the prog more freely as the gp2x firmware takes an age to boot. Advice welcomed.

Then theres the touch screen. It reacts but it acts a little like a touchpad on a laptop (if that makes sense) the cursor jumps around a bit when i try the stylus too and keeps bringing up the edit menu. Im not very techy so i dotn really know if im basicly missing something i should be doing to use touchscreen with it. If i can be of any use despite this in testing ill be around tomorrow and will pop onto the chat.

I know this platform is hardly likely to be important but if a good compromise between the f200 touch screen and buttons could be found it could work even better than it does on windows mobile. :)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 10:15:58 »

I could only get sound by restarting after checking the force 2^n box in config and restarting. Not sure what this option is though....
This is related to audio buffers and it's a sort of compatibility switch for picky audio devices/drivers that only work with powers of two buffer sizes. The box is likely to disappear in the following MilkyTracker versions as the mixer code (along with other stuff) has been refactored beyond the need for it.

I cant seem to quit the prog without it just going to a black screen and staying there.
This is a general gp2x issue and AFAIR it has been solved by gp2x owners. I remember reading about it in some gp2x software download site, in MilkyTracker's comments.

The unexpectedness of the touch screen is to be expected. No work whatsoever has gone into F-200 compatibility yet so it's only natural it isn't working perfectly. Hopefully this situation will improve in the near future. Once a team member gets an F-200 at the latest.

I know this platform is hardly likely to be important but if a good compromise between the f200 touch screen and buttons could be found it could work even better than it does on windows mobile. :)
Yeah, I know! :)

Ok i cant use any javascript on this pc so just whilst i remember....
(The chat is Java but) There are other alternatives. There are tons of IRC clients available for different systems you can download and use to connect to the chat. And multi protocol IM apps like Miranda, Pidgin or Kopete work just as well. Then you just need to connect to a server on EsperNet (cosmos.esper.net for example, more at http://www.esper.net/servers.html ) and join the channel #MilkyTracker .

unloopy

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 13:18:50 »

It seems like some people have got it quitting happily with the little script poted on the wiki and the file archive. Ive tried copying it into a text file and calling it milkytracker.gpe and calling the milkytrackergp2xlinuxarm file milkytracker but it seems not to find anything to run unless i affix .gpe to that and then it hangs when it quits. Maybe this is due to my near total ignorance of scripts though.. i wouldnt be surprised if i need someone on their forums to put this script in a different format or somesuch....

Yes i totaly wasnt expecting the touchscreen to work with a version set up for a joystick. The joystick version even sped up is really awkward on the f200 dpad though so i cant really use milky unless the touch screen works like it does on a pocket pc.. and i would love to be able to do that for live stuff or just starting projects to pick up later on my desktop in renoise.

Id love to get a few more  people to use it with an f200. Im trying to think about how the d-pad, trigger buttons and shoulder buttons could be used together with the touchscreen. I think the dpad should work like the arrow keys on a desktop version. Right shoulder button could work like a shift key with them. The other buttons could be commands, or triggers for quick drum programming along with the d pad or perhaps there are better uses for them.
Perhaps one button could switch between treating the joystick/dpad as a mouse or as arrow keys. I think that would be more usable for f100 users too.
sorry if im droning on a bit... having tried it on windows mobile im quite excited by how well it could work on here .. i really think it would be hugely popular on the platform with a few tweaks.

Ill look into the irc thing. Ive never really used it. ta for informing me :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up