Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin Support?  (Read 7741 times)

flashdrive64

• New User
    • View Profile
Plugin Support?
« on: July 13, 2008, 17:16:02 »

Will there be? Im interested in using the 8 bit plugin here http://www.ymck.net/english/download/index.html with milkytracker. Does anyone know if this will be implemented?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Plugin Support?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 18:48:38 »

No, plug-in support is out of the scope of MilkyTracker, they don't belong in 2nd generation trackers. But looking at the features of the plug-in on that page, all that stuff is easy to reproduce in MilkyTracker using the sample generators, instrument settings and pattern commands.

flashdrive64

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 20:50:07 »

Thanks for the reply, I just thought it would be cool to use plugins and such in Milkytracker, its one of the best I know.
So I guess trackers like openMPT are 3rd generation?
What are the best 3rd generation trackers?

P.S. Is milkytracker updated often?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:39 »

MilkyTracker cannot support plug-ins, because it uses the .XM format introduced by Fasttracker II in the mid-90s. ModPlug is a 3rd generation tracker but it has only recently come up with its own module format. This means it has been breaking .XM and .IT compatibility for years. It would be all fine if you're rendering the modules as streams and distributing only them, but that goes against the tracker scene tradition of sharing the actual modules.</rant_and_history_lesson> ;)

What are the best 3rd generation trackers?

Dangerous, dangerous question.

There are a lot of alternatives:

• Renoise is a particularly popular tracker having a FT2-resembling user interface, like MilkyTracker. Uses an open file format called .XRNS. Active development and community.
  • Skale Tracker started as an unofficial successor to FT2 and looks the closest to it, too. Skale has poor .XM support but luckily it introduced its own .SKM format, so there's less compatibility issues. Hasn't seen an update in years.
  • MadTracker and Open ModPlug Tracker. Dunno much about these Windows trackers, but they both have the same basic features as all 3rd gen trackers: realtime DSP effects and plug-in support as well as a loyal following.

And then there's a whole bunch more. Basically it all boils down to preference, which 3rd tracker is the best for you? And the only way to find that out is to try them out.

P.S. Is milkytracker updated often?

MilkyTracker is in active development. Public releases don't happen exactly every week, but it's not that difficult to get your hands on some development builds. Just join the community (good, a forum member, first step taken :) ), come hang out on the IRC channel and contribute your ideas, (buggy) modules and beta testing skills.

flashdrive64

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:55 »

I've used Renoise, and like it a lot, just don't like the thing about paying, its 50 Euros = about 80 some $.

Skale tracker was nice, but crashed alot on my computer, and it isn't updated.

MadTracker and Modplug both seem like they don't have a lot of people behind them, like MadTracker hasn't been updated since I think 2006.

Guess I just have to pick.

What is the difference between trackers and sequencers? I know sorta, but not exactly.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 14:34:37 »

Renoise is a good, studio quality app used by professional musicians as well. Recommended and certainly worth the low, low price. But note that you can use Renoise for free for as long as you like if you don't require ASIO. Sure, .WAV rendering is disabled too but that's it.

The difference between sequencers and trackers is the interface. Sequencers were developed for professional musicians from the start and are mainly controlled with external gear and a mouse driven GUI. Trackers hail from Amiga home computers, both developed and used by hobbyist programmers and musicians. Everything is centered around the computer itself, trying to get the most out of the limited screen space and the hardware. Trackers are mainly controlled with the keyboard, mouse emphasis varies from tracker to tracker. Nowadays, when home computers have become as powerful as they have, tracker sound quality is on par with DAWs and it's really just a matter of which way you want to go.

Some random perks: Sequencers might be better suited for live use and such. Trackers might have the edge at powerful and detailed editing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 19:59:19 by Deltafire »
Pages: [1]   Go Up