Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mod's usable in a hosting program?  (Read 7141 times)

MaestroRage

• New User
    • View Profile
Mod's usable in a hosting program?
« on: June 29, 2007, 16:01:07 »

I've searched around the site, and i'm still not fully aware of what exactly these Modules are. Are they like advanced soundfonts? Are they random riffs and tunes? Are they usable in a sequencing program like Fruity Studio's?

This website would be the holy grail to myself if it were. I'd like to know. Thanks.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Mod's usable in a hosting program?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 17:17:57 »

In some way, you can call MODs advanced MIDIs. However, that's not completely true. While MIDIs are made with a Sequencer, MODs are written in a Tracker. That are two totally different concepts.
However, Like MIDIs, MODs are not streamed Media like MP3, WAV or OGG. These formats are played... well... in a stream of data which represents the shape of the sound =) MIDI and MOD however consist of instructions. These instructions could be something like "play the middle C on the piano at half volume". I won't go deeper into the differences between MIDI and MOD for now. Howerver, the greatest difference is that MODs contain samples, mostly WAV samples. So your playback does not rely on the listener's MIDI hardware, MODs sound the same on virtually every machine. :)
To answer your question: MODs are not compatbile to Fruity Loops or whatever, you would have to convert them to MIDI which means a great loss of quality. Another problem is that this process doesn't work always as MODs have special commands that can't be reproduced in a MIDI file.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up