Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: music from Battle Girl computer game - 5/6 found!  (Read 19760 times)

necro2607

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Matecha.net
music from Battle Girl computer game - 5/6 found!
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:04:03 »

Well, really really doubt anyone is going to know this.. but I remember years ago I played this cool Mac game called "Battle Girl".. the music was super cool, and I used ResEdit to extract the music tracks.   Unfortunately I don't have the files or the game anymore, but I was hoping someone might know at least WHO made the music, so I can try to find it!   I seem to recall the music was done by a small handful of diff people whose songs were used in the game,  but I can't remember even a single word/phrase/name of any of the songs or artist(s) .

If anyone knows anything at all, please let me know... thanks... !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 18:08:14 by necro2607 »

necro2607

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Matecha.net
Re: music from Battle Girl computer game
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 13:11:15 »

OK, I've been doing a crazy amount of investigation here.

I managed to find a demo version of Battle Girl for windows (wtf I thought it was Mac only) on some taiwanese site.  installed the demo (amazingly,runs!) .  Found one music file in the game folder,  "remutat.madh" .

After like 2 hours of intensive searching, there is simply NOT A PLAYER for "MADH" format music for Windows.   If I wanted to play this song, I'd have to dig up one of my old Macs and install PlayerPRO on it.    :(

I opened up the file in Wordpad and I can see that the full song title is "the remutation" , which, after a Google search, appears to be made by someone under the name of Loolarge. I managed to track down the original at:  http://rr.rockz.org/rr/loo-orem.zip 

That's cool, but this is my least preferred song in the game, and the other songs were by different artists, if I recall correctly.

Guess I am back to square one, since I have no information about the other songs in the full version of the game.  :(   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 13:14:15 by necro2607 »

necro2607

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Matecha.net
Re: music from Battle Girl computer game
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 18:07:51 »

OMG, so damn awesome.  I emailed Loolarge, writer of the one song ("0 - the remutation") in the game demo.   Got a response from him - he listed the track list for me. Just song names, but it's enough that there's only one I can't find.

Tracklist..

1.Fluff link
2.O-The remutation link
3.4th Directive  -  can't find so far :(
4.Welcome to the gods link
5.Joy link
6.Abstraktd link

Check those out.. pretty cool hey?   Of course, they are about 8000x cooler when you played the game they are in, which is a pretty trippy fast-paced arcade-style game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 18:10:52 by necro2607 »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: music from Battle Girl computer game - 5/6 found!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 19:18:19 »

well, congratulations then ;D
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

necro2607

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Matecha.net
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 23:11:48 »

Thanks.. :)   Now I'm just trying to find "4th Directive", but can't find ANY info anywhere. 

necro2607

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Matecha.net
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:39:01 »

OK, turns out "4th Directive" / "Fourth Directive" is a song by "matrix cubed" who was/is a member of Ultrabeat, Plasm and Chill Productions.   But, I can't find the module at all.  I guess at last resort I can try to find him personally, but that might not be very easy.  Gunna continue searching for the module, for now...

Monkey Subject

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 00:02:26 »

I managed to find the Fourth Directive file.  It's stored in the game in MADH format, which seems like a proprietary PlayerPro format?    See attached XM format export.  And actually, sadly, it doesn't seem to sound quite right in VLC.  Sounds great in PlayerPro though.

carboxykinased

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 21:36:15 »

odd to find this after giving up hope myself for over a decade...
it seems with soundcloud and etc, everyone is coming out to play again. ;D

so you don't know me and i don't know you, but we share a love for battlegirl. at that's reason enough to get off my butt and upload stuff once more. modern mod track players don't render the resedit resource forks correctly. i've suspected the program itself had some weird hardcoded player like playerpro, but even playerpro didn't play the files correctly. i was never able to find the player in the code.

at any rate, here's a copy of all the tracks that were stored in the actual program (under the uuBG resfork), and here are flacs of direct stero captures from the mac's sound interface. there are subtle differences between any xm file i've found (and you've previously linked to), any xm from uuBG, and the actual bg output endcoded to flac, so take your pick on which sounds the best.

battlegirl resfork tracks (4 MiB):
link=www mediafire com/file/he04eey0981jd4e/battlegirl_uuBG_resfork.renameToRAR
pass=omghai2u!

battlegirl track output capture flacs (244 MiB):
link=www mediafire com/file/zb1k88xchxa8dt9/battlegirl_tracks_flac.part1.renameToRAR
link=www mediafire com/file/j6mqq5vi217lq07/battlegirl_tracks_flac.part2.renameToRAR
link=www mediafire com/file/y57d2necbefe81b/battlegirl_tracks_flac.part3.renameToRAR
pass=omghai2uagain!

i do have one request: i never knew about rr.rockz.org, and of course, its down. got a copy of the archive cds (they made 2 discs)? anyone? pls? i needz it...

Monkey Subject

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 22:43:11 »

Thanks for the audio captures, carboxykinased!  They're awesome!  abstrakd in particular never sounds right in any other player.

I did notice that other versions of remutation have an intro that seems to be missing from your capture though.  Was that intro not in the game?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 13:12:44 »

abstrakd in particular never sounds right in any other player.
Uhm excuse me, but those tracks were not made for this game in particular, so if the game plays them different it's the game that plays them wrong, not all the other players.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up