Community > The Lobby

Found Songs on an Old CD

(1/3) > >>

Someone1977:
I just found songs on a 10 year old CD of mine.
I was wondering if I can upload them to the archive. There are not mine, but found them on various websites back in the day.

Some of them are not on this Site. (I think)

Eagle:
I don't think you can upload them on the modarchive since you did not made them yourself. There are agreements on modarchive which must be respected. There is a chance the songs have copyrights which should respected, at least by the modarchive crew.

However, you could send them to me and perhaps I could host them on my website. If they are at a maximum of 5MB per song (after compression).

My mail is:
chessmasterz89(at)hotmail(dot)com

I think there are several other people around here who host one or more websites with old modules, too. Dust-on-tape or something, I believe one is called.

m0d:
Please do not upload collections. It is not only against the upload policy, it is would also burden us with far too much work to sort through them (me and 1 other guy)

Perhaps at a later time when the new site is up and the duplication checks are in place this can occur, but as Eagle said, if they aren't yours to submit in the first place... (i'm covering our bases here).

Edit: This isn't really a lost/found topic. Moved it to offtopic forum :)

Welcome to the boards :cheers:

Someone1977:
My Intent was to share something that maybe cannot be found anymore on the net.  That is why I asked here before uploading to the archive, I was not sure I had the rights to do this.

There could be approx 40-50 songs on the CD.  

Thanks!

m0d:

--- Quote from: "Someone1977" ---My Intent was to share something that maybe cannot be found anymore on the net.  That is why I asked here before uploading to the archive, I was not sure I had the rights to do this.

There could be approx 40-50 songs on the CD.  

Thanks!
--- End quote ---

No worries, I understand why you asked :)

This pretty much sums it up:

From http://www.modarchive.com/agreement.shtml

--- Quote ---
Section 2: Non-copyright holders

2.1 License. By providing a song/file to us if you are not the copyright holder of said song/file, you agree that you have previously secured a license to redistribute the song, according to the terms of Section 1.

2.2 Copyright infringement. Furthermore you agree that you are fully responsible for your action of providing the song to modarchive.com, and that modarchive.com may hold you liable for any copyright infringement caused by your uploading of the song/file to the modarchive.com server, and thus that modarchive.com should not be held liable for any consequences of your actions.

--- End quote ---

Sounds strict and pretty tight, regrettably, a lot of people have overlooked this and have submitted files that aren't theirs in the past.

The main thing I (personally) am concerned with is duplication. In the current system, uploading songs aren't checked for duplicates (ok, they are by filename, but not by file hash, for example).

Proper duplication checking is implemented in the new system,  :thumbup:  but inevitably, this means you'll either have to wait until the new site is up and running if you want to proceed or upload  (against the law)  : :thumbneutral: : the files and see what happens.

Before you do anything, please will you make a list (do a dir in cmd prompt or something and copy the text out into a post here) of the mod files? It's possible to for me to search the development site for them first.

:thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version