Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalizing Tracker Files  (Read 5792 times)

Aeon

• New User
    • View Profile
Normalizing Tracker Files
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:33:32 »

I haven't posted for a while, and first of all I just wanted to mentioned out ridiculously #$%$@ING retarded the password setup for this forum is. Good lord. Obviously they don't want you to actually be able to remember whatever obscenely contorted gibberish you were forced to enter in there.

Second, does anybody know of a program that will allow me to normalize several tracker files (IT and XM files in particular)? Its somewhat irritating when using multiple music files in an album only to have it change from soft and quiet to LOUD. I know there are programs such as MP3Gain which will do this for mp3 and perhaps OGG files, but I haven't heard of anything that will do it for tracker files.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Normalizing Tracker Files
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:15:21 »

Obviously they don't want you to actually be able to remember whatever obscenely contorted gibberish you were forced to enter in there.
Obviously, you don't know what a good password is. And I even bet that you use one password for several websites. If you can't remember your passwords, use a password manager- Those even have nice functions like generating long, random passwords, which are pretty safe.

As for your question, there's a difference between normalizing and limting. With normalizing, you just can amplify the entire waveform so the loudest "peak" will be as loud as possible, but if you have one such peak in your file and the rest is pretty quiet, it *will* stay quiet. You can't normalize modules as they are not streams, but you can render your tunes to .WAV files and normalize those (e.g. using Audacity). If this is still not enough, you can try a limit plug-in, but beware - it will kill dynamics (i.e. loud drum hits) and touch the waveform in a very bad way if you do it wrong.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: Normalizing Tracker Files
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 16:11:52 »

I haven't posted for a while, and first of all I just wanted to mentioned out ridiculously #$%$@ING retarded the password setup for this forum is. Good lord. Obviously they don't want you to actually be able to remember whatever obscenely contorted gibberish you were forced to enter in there.

Hey, don't bitch at me for attempting to ensure that the site is safer from miscreants who do dictionary based brute force attacks on the site, almost every day. Password security is paramount and just because other places have weak password strength security doesn't mean others should.

While I can understand your frustration to a very small degree, you perhaps need to look into formatting your passwords out of phrases instead of using plain words. i.e using the first letter of each word of a phrase, capitalize one of the letters, and add a number in place of a letter. If your password is guessed (or compromised) on one site, and you happen to use the same one across others, then you're in trouble, so another tip is to add a letter from the name of the site to the beginning or the end of the password to make it unique to the site you are using.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 16:29:58 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord
Pages: [1]   Go Up