Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample Loop Types  (Read 16412 times)

sverx

• View Profile
Sample Loop Types
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:13:13 »

Hi there,
  I'm not a composer... but I would like to know what exactly is the so called one-shot loop... and what's the difference with the other loop types, forward and ping pong, which both are clear in my mind, I think ;)

Sorry if the question was already been posted, I've been searching the Net (and this forum also!) but I didn't find any precise answer.

Thanks in advance!

Ciao :)

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Sample Loop Types
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:37:51 »

i'm not sure what you are talking about (since that may be a specific option in your programme), but one-shot and loop is as much as a contast as black and white. A one-shot snare sample is for example just one hit, but a snare loop is several bars of snare sounds.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 14:05:27 »

i'm not sure what you are talking about (since that may be a specific option in your programme), but one-shot and loop is as much as a contast as black and white.

Right, may be it's a specific option in the program I'm using, MilkyTracker... I thought it wasn't a specific question...
In that tracker there are 4 options: no loop, forward loop, ping-pong loop, one shot loop...
Can this topic be moved to the specific forum, then?

Thanks! Ciao :)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 22:32:22 »

One shot loop is a ProTracker feature/bug that first plays the sample from beginning to end bypassing the loop points and then plays it again, this time with a forward loop. It only works when loop start is at 0, otherwise it switches to normal forward loop. One shot does not work in .XMs (and is probably widely unsupported in .MOD players too).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 22:36:05 by raina »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 00:18:33 »

Ah, so this is supposed to be funk repeat? :)
http://modarchive.org/forums/index.php?topic=431.0
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

sverx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:22:52 »

One shot loop is a ProTracker feature/bug that first plays the sample from beginning to end bypassing the loop points and then plays it again, this time with a forward loop. It only works when loop start is at 0, otherwise it switches to normal forward loop.

That's a good explanation! :) Thank you so much :)

One shot does not work in .XMs (and is probably widely unsupported in .MOD players too).

... mmm, it's funny then what happens with the XM titled "Erasure - Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)" from this page: the Instrument 4, Sample 0, which is a One-Shot loop, 16 bit sample (sample type is 0x13, I checked in the file) plays like a ping-pong loop. Or maybe it's simply a MilkyTracker 0.90.60 bug?

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 15:54:00 »

... mmm, it's funny then what happens with the XM titled "Erasure - Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)" from this page: the Instrument 4, Sample 0, which is a One-Shot loop, 16 bit sample (sample type is 0x13, I checked in the file) plays like a ping-pong loop. Or maybe it's simply a MilkyTracker 0.90.60 bug?

According to the official XM spec 0x13 is not a valid sample type. 0x10 specifies 16 bit sample type but 0x3 is undefined. The UI of milkytracker becomes confused by this value because it shouldn't be there and apparently the player treats it diffently than the UI. Thus it should be considered as a "bug".

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 15:59:45 »

The file seems to be corrupt, it doesn't load in Fasttracker II. The behavior you describe applies to v0.90.80 as well but an update is still recommended.

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 16:02:10 »

So what should it do? Revert to no/forward/ping-pong loop?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 16:06:53 »

In this particular case at least, ping pong sounds like the correct alternative.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up