Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Creating Instruments....  (Read 10754 times)

Vardaman

• New User
    • View Profile
Help Creating Instruments....
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:26:54 »

Hi,
I'm new to Milky Tracker and Tracking in general, but I'm really excited to learn how.
I've been having some trouble making my own instruments.  I can play other peoples instruments that other people have made, but whenever i try and make my own they never sound when i hit the keyboard.  Anyone wanna walk me through how to make an instrument?
Thanks,
Vardaman

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Help Creating Instruments....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 20:01:34 »

Are you trying to draw a chiptune instrument? You need to loop it, because otherwise it's not very likely to sound like anything.

Vardaman

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 20:38:17 »

yeah, i tried that and it still isn't working... 

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 20:51:35 »

How do you try to play it? When you play it, can you see vertical lines moving through the sample? Also try loading a .wav file and modify that one.

Vardaman

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 21:44:30 »

Ok, so i didn't realize i needed to load a sample..... wow.......

What kind of sample do you normally load to make basic chiptune leads/basses/drums?

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 17:02:05 »

You don't need to necessarily load a sample, you can create blank ones and draw, generate and process them. Bring up the sample editor context menu by right clicking, Command-clicking or tap-and-holding on the sample display and select New. Then you enter the length of the sample. Powers of two sizes (like 32 or 64 and so on..) are good for smooth waves and less tuning issues. That's how you make chip instruments.

Drums are a little different, most of the time you'll be wanting to use normal samples and the sources could be anything: synths, games, chopped loops.. Or you can make your own drums with the instruments you've created by applying some pattern effects (portamento down, volume slide..) and rendering that. Using normal drum samples can work, the results can be quite lo-fi and chippy when you need to resample the sample down so it doesn't take too much space for a chip tune.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 17:04:44 by raina »

Fysx

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 17:40:36 »

So, yeah, for those who draw their own percussion, how do you guys draw chip snares? I've tried the method that described in the old video tutorials, but they always come out sounding rather thin.

jimee

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 22:24:46 »

The method on video tutorial works great for me... Did you try to play your drawing with a lower note?

klez

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 15:22:39 »

A white noise should work for the snare... at least in a chiptune track ;) I think bitshifter of 8bitpeoples uses this 'trick'
Pages: [1]   Go Up