Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other musical uses for DS  (Read 7376 times)

Shagbat

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Myspace/chrislody
Other musical uses for DS
« on: October 04, 2008, 13:47:01 »

I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas for music software that the DS could potentially run?

We of course have the ever flexible NT, DS-10 for realtime synthesis, Protein for scratching...

But what about FX? Couldn't someone code the DS to act as a realtime pocket effects unit? It has audio in (mic and mic Socket) and out (speakers and headphone socket) so why not? I can't code to save my life but I just thought I'd bring it up as an idea. I could be really cool if its possible

Cheers
ChrisLody says "Oscillation For The Nation"

phate

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Other musical uses for DS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:11:30 »

I've considered doing this, but the problem is that it's too much of a pain to rig up an input jack, and the normal microphone is too noisy for any sort of meaningful audio processing. (Other than, I suppose, noise removal. Unfortunately, it would be rather processor intensive to perform noise removal + other effects all in realtime.)

If you find any retailers that sell this sort of thing, or even somewhere to order the DS male mic connector, feel free to let me know. I wouldn't mind spending a little time trying to throw together a tutorial/some software so people can use their DS's as pocket amplifiers.

I do plan on eventually writing some software for non-realtime effects processing on the DS, but it's going to be awhile till I get anything significant done. It's a shame that I can't put life on hold, because there are far too many things I want to do, and not nearly enough time to do them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:14:44 by phate »

Shagbat

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Myspace/chrislody
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 19:12:36 »

It's a shame that I can't put life on hold, because there are far too many things I want to do, and not nearly enough time to do them.

Hey, I know how you feel!

With regards to the audio input on the ds, wouldn't be possible to get a ds headset and just chop the cable off and solder on some rca connectors? I personally have an attic full of broken electronics to raid for parts when I need them.

Even if all the ds could manage in terms of processing were a flexible delay a lot can be achieved with this as the timing of the delay and feedback can be used for chorus and phaser effects with a pitch lfo in the right place.

anyway just food for thought

Cheers

ChrisLody says "Oscillation For The Nation"

phate

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 21:22:01 »

With regards to the audio input on the ds, wouldn't be possible to get a ds headset and just chop the cable off and solder on some rca connectors? I personally have an attic full of broken electronics to raid for parts when I need them.

You could do that, but aren't those headsets a bit pricey to go around hacking them up?

Also, I'm quite certain that feedback delay would be fairly easy, and I'm sure you could get some filters going if you were so inclined. Everything would be fairly simple if I could only get streaming audio working in the first place.

usrfriendly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:33:56 »

well, you could go here and look at the many programs that use Tob's DSMI interface.
Pages: [1]   Go Up