Music Production > Sampling

Project ST-01: The instruments behind the historic ST-01 sample disk revealed

<< < (2/7) > >>

dr_mabuse:
Found some more:

the ST-01:Snare1 is a Pitched up BassDrum (YES NO SHIT  ;D) from the Kawai R-50 Drummachine,

the ST-01:Claps2 is from the Kawai R-50 too and the ST-01:Claps1 is from a old Yamaha Drummachine (dont know the Name, maybe RY-10 or another)

the "Aligator", "KorgString" & "Wabberstring" seems to be the same Sound with some modifications

HideawayStudio:
Hello  :) - are you sure it was the R50 as this was released in 1988 - the R100, it's big brother, was released earlier.  ST-01 was released in 1987.

As for "Aligator", "KorgString" & "Wabberstring"  - I came to the same conclusion - the question is which Korg of the era is it - is it Korg Poly-800, 61 or DW6000, DW8000?

I will have a closer listen to the older Yamaha drum machines - many thanks for your suggestions.

dr_mabuse:
hmm, yes you are right, its the r-100 then (they got the same sounds)...

i also found out that some drum samples are also on the Datadisk from "Dynamic Drums" ...
(BassDrum2, Conga, Hihat2 and some more..)

raina:
What is the goal of Project ST-01? Is it documenting the sample sources or should we start crossing our fingers and holding our breath for a high quality remake of the set? :)

HideawayStudio:
This project originally started just to satisfy my curiosity as I am a very avid collector of older professional studio gear as well as being a huge Amiga music fan.  It turned out, however, that loads of Amiga fans became very interested in what I was doing so I decided to start on www.st-01.com.  The project goals are now:

1. To identify, describe and review the studio equipment used to make ST-01
2. To identify exactly which sounds were used to make each sample
3. To record the original source sound against the ST-01 sample
4. To also provide multi-samples of the more expressive sounds eg. D50 Tinewave
5. To identify who actually produced the samples in the first place - was it Karsten Obarksi himself?? - nobody has been able to answer that one!

The project is a major task and will take a long time.  I have managed to identify over 50% of ST-01 now but it will take much longer to reconstruct the original sounds as 16 bit samples.  This is because even when I have found the original sound source it has proven extremely difficult to make then sound just like the ST-01 sample - this is mainly due to the studio equipment being very responsive to velocity and release rates.  I therefore have to sound the right key in precisely the same way as the guy did when he made the original sample.   If you were to hear Tinewave on the D50 you'd very quickly notice that it sounds different to the Amiga sample as the Amiga sound is mearly a single snapshot of what is actualy a very complex synth preset.

Fortunately I have most of the instruments identified in ST-01 in my studio so I can play with them until they sound right for high quality equivalents.

Cheers,

Dan, Hideaway Studio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version