Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj-Distance  (Read 8671 times)

hybridx

• New User
    • View Profile
Dj-Distance
« on: June 15, 2006, 15:02:21 »

I had no idea about this story until I browser modarchive for the first time in ages.  Used to be an active member of the scene, but kind of dropped off now.

I am aware and know the person Dj-Distance and he does stay in Renfrewshire, Scotland in a little town called Paisley.  I can even provide his address but I wouldn't do that.  I can say this with confidence as he stayed a few doors away from me.

When I read this story, I wasn't surprised in the least.  I've been aware of him for some time, and I can say that he is a loser who would do this type of thing without thinking anything of it.

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
Dj-Distance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 17:35:32 »

So I guess you're talking about the Ripper's List.

I really can't understand people who want the so-called "fame" but are not willing to do any work for earning it.
The good thing is though that ripping's almost impossible to go unnoticed in the tracker scene.

I've actually heard some way too similar stuff with my old song (can't remember which one) in radio once. It was a rather clear ripoff, exactly the same chord progression, same leads and very similar sounding samples.. But I didn't do anything about it. Why?
Well, it was only a one part, and honestly, the the part the guy had ripped off, sounded like shit. I also never found any info on the artist from web and I haven't heard the ripoff anywhere since then. And of course, it could've been a coincidence.. Unlikely, yes.. but possible.

Rikimbo

• View Profile
Dj-Distance
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:35:26 »

It could have very well been a coincidence you know;  If this artist gets influence from the same music as you do, that chord progression may have been as intuitive to him as it was to you, so it may be as much yours as it is his.  This in combination with either thinking alike, being in the same state of mind, and so forth, may have caused this striking similarity in the music.

Of course, maybe he ripped it from you, who knows. ^^
quot;I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
Dj-Distance
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 21:46:40 »

Well, I'd say that using the same chord progression and melodies can happen (and happens all the time), but even the same instrument choices?
And considering my twisted taste of music, even the odds for someone having the same influences as I do are quite small. ;)

But I also wonder, why the hell anyone would ever want to rip off some of my older tunes.. Not even the newer ones fill today's standards.  :lol:

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Dj-Distance
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 13:35:42 »

I don't think anything was ever proved about those rips (Cavin Crew, DJ Distance). I spotted them as they were arriving and posted about them. And, also the MGS ones that followed. There were others that came to light also. Anyone could have uploaded them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up