Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IT functionality someday?  (Read 8129 times)

darwin

• New User
    • View Profile
    • David Chmelik homesite
IT functionality someday?
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:23:27 »

I was a registered FT][ user who used Milkytracker for a while because it runs on GNU/Linux, but lately I have used MadTracker ][ MT2 because I wanted IT2 functionality.  The Milkytracker (MT) developers say MT is 2nd-generation, but so is IT2, right?  It is not like Renoise, Buzz or Psycle.  It would be great someday to have IT2 functionality in a scrolling tracker that is like FT2.  I have never coded anything big, but would any more programmers be needed.  IT2 is just sort of a standard nowadays that old FT2 users should be able to move to, but many of them just do not like the non-scrolling trackers.  Maybe I will come back to MT anyway; there is not much I use if I have to save .MT2.  It would be great to be able to load and convert those songs too.  Maybe that is something I could work on rather than audio stuff, but I am not sure.

usrfriendly

• View Profile
Re: IT functionality someday?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:12 »

Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking about this.

Do you mean Milkytracker ditching XM and going to IT, or being able to support IT and XM?  It sounds like the second, which would be awesome.  But, wouldn't there need to be an extensive overhaul on the UI for IT features?  And, a compatibility check, like the MOD export.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 14:12:16 »

Sorry guys, but this is not going to happen in the current scope of the MilkyTracker project or with the current development team. Sure, IT2 was 2nd generation tracker and sure, many of us (as well) would like the IT features with an usable UI. But. There are some fundamental differences between FT2 and IT2 that make their environments' co-existence very non-trivial, says pailes. It's not just UI, designing new displays with the PPUI framework would probably be one of the easier aspects of a task like this.

That being said, the source code is open. ;) Get it, fork it and call it SourMilky. I wouldn't mind supporting a project like that! :)

Kmuland

• Milkytracker Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 21:27:31 »

Sorry guys... maybe in other life you will be able to find a tracker with FT2 GUI and able to write IT files.

Im praying for this feature long time too.

I tried to convince some IT coder to create a FT2 like GUI for his IT editor.. but seems that nobody cares.
Everyone know that IT format is superior but nobody understand that a person used to FT2 GUI find the IT one totally hard to use
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 19:08:03 by Kmuland »

darwin

• New User
    • View Profile
    • David Chmelik homesite
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:34:26 »

MadTracker ][ and Renoise load .IT files, though I know not the details of how much of an .IT file they can use.  MadTracker is just for Windoze though, and Renoise is beyond a 2nd-generation tracker.  If they can do it it is not far-fetched that something like MilkyTracker should be able to.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:37 »

Considering there's not a single editor app (that I know of) that can support both .XM and .IT well, I'd say it would be quite a feat to accomplish just that. I have minimal experience of MadTracker but I can say Renoise's legacy format support, while a great thing to have, is nothing to write home about. On .IT's part, MilkyTracker already does what Renoise does: it parses the file and adapts it to the working environment. Renoise doesn't handle legacy format playback accurately, not by a long shot. And it doesn't intend to. You get an approximation of the original file so you can continue working on it rather than starting from scratch, manually reproducing every bit of pattern data.

pailes

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 13:46:44 »

Considering there's not a single editor app (that I know of) that can support both .XM and .IT well

Modplug Tracker? ;)

darwin

• New User
    • View Profile
    • David Chmelik homesite
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 05:45:33 »

Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking about this.

Do you mean Milkytracker ditching XM and going to IT, or being able to support IT and XM?  It sounds like the second, which would be awesome.  But, wouldn't there need to be an extensive overhaul on the UI for IT features?  And, a compatibility check, like the MOD export.

Sorry I missed your post... or was thinking about it for long.  I did not necessarily mean either of your options.  IIRC IT2 loaded XM; it just would not save them.  If MilkyTracker, like ModPlug or MadTracker, were to load XM I do not think it would have to not save XM.  Saving in XM should probably still be enabled, but then it may need a separate FT2 and IT2 mode.

That is fine if it is not in the current scope of the project, but what about in 5 - 15 years?  MilkyTracker is so great that people should want it to be the best tracker, but to do that it should at least be like the best 2nd gen. tracker and be the basis--in the code or team--for a later generation one long in the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up