Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Replicate Strange 2A03 Trick?  (Read 6183 times)

Tiberious

• New User
    • View Profile
How to Replicate Strange 2A03 Trick?
« on: October 06, 2008, 14:37:50 »

As you might guess, I tend to do lots of video game cover modules, and most notably the NES Mega Man series (good music, nice and simple, no extra channels, and so on).

Recently, Capcom released Mega Man 9 in the 8-bit style, down to the music, but they've taken to using some tricks the NES sound hardware was capable of, that I have no clue how I'd replicate in a module.

The trick in question is the ability to change the square used between frames (for a prime example, listen to the password music from Punch-Out!!'s NSF. Each note starts as a 12.5 square, then quickly changes to 25 and then 50 for sustain) while at the same time doing a portamento between notes (I'm using the XM '3XX' effect for this).

How in the hell would I manage to pull this off without having to use two extra channels?

Rayko

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Rayko's Place
Re: How to Replicate Strange 2A03 Trick?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 22:16:01 »

You mean pulse with control (PW)?

Cool Dude Clem

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: How to Replicate Strange 2A03 Trick?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 00:43:14 »

I don't think there is an effect to do this.  You could try setting the speed to go fast and you can use different samples in each row, or just have it playing at a faster speed when you need to change the samples quickly, just make sure you space each notes/drums further apart when you speed it up.  Sorry I'm not very good at explaining things, but I hope you got the gist of that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up