Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OMO  (Read 6493 times)

NewCreature

• New User
    • View Profile
OMO
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:17:45 »

As a long time fan of modular music, I found myself increasingly disappointed with the lack of good options for playing back those songs on my modern Mac. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my ideal modular music player.

OMO is a free and open source music player for Windows, Linux, and MacOS which is designed from the ground up to be the best player for listening to music modules. It also supports many other music formats, but is really no replacement for your favorite music player if you are just going to listen to MP3s.

OMO's interface is based on Winamp 5. It has a queue with player controls and an optional library view. You can add files or folders to the queue or browse your library (if you have pointed OMO to where your music files are) and add files from there.

The library keeps track of all compatible music files that are in the folders you told OMO to look in. When you first scan your library, OMO will retrieve as much meta-data as it can find in each file. OMO will also pull tags from the cloud during the scanning process.

Additionally, you can tag any music files in your library to supply additional information. Any tags you add to your music files are automatically submitted to the cloud, so other users with the same music files can enjoy the benefits of the work you did. OMO does not alter your music files in any way, it stores its tags in a separate database (so don't expect to edit the tags of your MP3 files with OMO and see those tags in another player).

Since OMO is designed for playing back modular music, it has features relevant to playing back modular music files that you won't find in other more general purpose music/media players. For instance, you can set loop start, end, and fade times for looping modules and have them fade out nicely instead of abruptly ending. You can also use the Split Track feature to inform OMO of additional songs embedded in a module. Some modules that come with pinball games, for example, have multiple looping songs within the module file. OMO can catalog these as separate tracks in its database so you can find and listen to them all.

I've been enjoying using OMO for the last year or so and thought the player could use more exposure. If anyone is in need of a modular music player for MacOS, give OMO a try. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to ask.

Steffest

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Online Tracker
Re: OMO
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:13 »

Nice!
Always good to see the mod-musics getting some love :-)

I especially like the "fadeout" option instead of ending a song abruptly, that's a good idea.

On my machine, the control buttons at the bottom are not showing.
I like minimal interfaces, but this is a little hard to use :-)

As you can also see on the screenshot, some of the Screamtracker files are not recognized and also are skipped at playback.

Nice work!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:25:40 by Steffest »

NewCreature

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 23:59:50 »

Thanks for the feedback.

The missing button graphics is an interesting bug. I'll look into it. You might be able to fix it by forcing the app to use OpenGL. You can do this by adding the line "force_opengl=true" to the app's configuration file under the "[T3F]" heading. The path to the configuration file is: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Roaming/t3-i/OMO/settings.ini.

Is there any way you could point me to a download link for one of the modules that isn't playing? All the S3M files I have play fine. I'd like to test it out to see if I can figure out why it won't play.

Steffest

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Online Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:51:12 »

Hey!

I looked into it and never mind: my mistake :-)
They are all S3M files that are XPK compressed. I forgot those get silently unpacked when playing them on my Amiga (what a cool platform, right?)
Obviously this won't work on other platforms.

When I unpack them to uncompressed ScreamTracker files, they play fine in OMO.

Cheers!
Steffest

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 20:01:29 »

Obviously this won't work on other platforms.
Not quite true, the software just has to support it, and there are indeed players out there which support XPK transparently. :)
Judging from OMO's code, it already has an interface for adding more compression libraries, so it might make sense to add support for the ancient format decompressor library which supports various flavours of XPK. "SQSH" is the most important one for tracked music, although there are also a few XPK-compressed modules that use different codecs (e.g. "DUKE").
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

NewCreature

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 00:05:32 »

They are all S3M files that are XPK compressed. I forgot those get silently unpacked when playing them on my Amiga
It's good to know the S3M files work properly. I find it strange the XPK compressed files would stay compressed that way when transferring to another platform. You'd think the files would be decompressed in the process of transferring to another platform or when being uploaded.

it might make sense to add support for the ancient format decompressor library which supports various flavours of XPK
This is the kind of feature I would be interested in adding to OMO. Since the Amiga platform seems to handle the compression on the file system level, keeping the original file's extension intact, I would need to make some architectural changes to OMO to make it work smoothly.

Thanks for the link to Ancient Format Decompressor. It looks like that project has all the code I would need to add this feature to OMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up