Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Just not working out for me :(  (Read 4732 times)

Zubb

• New User
    • View Profile
It's Just not working out for me :(
« on: November 16, 2009, 19:24:48 »

I've been using Milkytracker for about, Just under a week now.
and iv'e got the hang of the basic click & insert notes. But all my notes seem out of tune & all jumbled up, and it seems like a complete mess of an 8-bit song.

I keep trying by changing the different types of notes, some don't even play at all and the other's just make more of a mess of the sound.

Are there any beginner tutorials, I've read the sticky on here and that got me going good :)
I just need a little further boost  :-[

The video's on Youtube don't really go in depth as too what does what on Milky, and Milkytracker.net is down.

Can anyone suggest any good beginner guides :)

Thank you,
Jason.

DasKreestof

• View Profile
Re: It's Just not working out for me :(
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 23:25:47 »

Did you create the instruments yourself or did you download them?  How did you create your instruments? Did you draw them in Milkytracker or convert them from something else?
How many samples long are your instrument, and is that in decimal or hex?
When you are loading samples from outside of Milkytracker from say a 44.1 khz source, they should not be tuned to middle C. But when drawing a sample, the length should be an exponent of 2, like 64, 128 or 256 long, and then tune to Middle C. Milkytracker treats samples as 8363Hz which means makes c3 63.93 samples long. A detailed discussion of this can be found here: http://modarchive.org/forums/index.php?topic=2401.0

You might find it easier to pull apart other mods/xm files and play with them while you're learning to track.
Also, milkytracker.org should is up.

Gopher

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: It's Just not working out for me :(
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:48 »

Yeah, I'd go back and take a look at some .mod files that you particularly like (.mod because they're a lot simpler in only having 4 channels); this will also make it easier for you to *hear* what is going on in each channel. Take stuff apart so that you can learn to build your own. :)

The learning curve is a little steep, yes, but try and stick with it. The truth is that the learning curve for milky is probably shallower than other things, for example Impulse tracker (documentation notwithstanding).
Pages: [1]   Go Up