Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Song does not loop correctly when played  (Read 6443 times)

a9642

• New User
    • View Profile
Song does not loop correctly when played
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:13:54 »

First, thank you Raina, Deltafire, and DasKreestof for the help this past week getting MilkyTracker up and running.

I've composed a couple songs in XM format for a project I was hoping to release on the 24th. The problem is that the platform I'm using to play them isn't obeying all my pattern break commands, specifically the ones at the end of the song. I have several songs that use an intro pattern that should only be played at the beginning of the song. At the end of the song I have an effect that should make it jump back to pattern 01 (the second pattern, the one after the intro), but it jumps back to the intro (pattern 00) instead. To be clear, MilkyTracker plays the song as intended, it's the other platform I'm using that doesn't. I'm confused because that other platform uses FMOD for playback, and FMOD is supposed to support XM.

I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. If you have any tips about using a different effect, using the effect in a different way, or anything, please clue me in. The file is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zwmim1mxqjc/sea_chanty.xm

If you cannot access the download at mediafire.com, just tell me and I'll try a different site.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:47:47 by a9642 »

8ch

• A#4
    • View Profile
Re: Song does not loop correctly when played
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 18:00:11 »

just from guessing...: is the "song-editor-repeat-start" set correctly? sorry can't download the file...

a9642

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 20:26:06 »

I've looked all around MilkyTracker, and I can't find any "song-editor-repeat-start" option, or any other option like it. Where would I find this?

I've asked a friend to upload it to his file-space. This is a direct download, so you should be able to get the file without a problem:

http://www.byond.com/members/SuperSaiyanX/files/sea_chanty.xm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 21:00:23 by a9642 »

8ch

• A#4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 17:51:03 »

the song-editor is the upper left panel in the main screen (where you align your patterns). it is sometimes called "pattern-order-editor" ;) there's a "length" switch and one for repeat. when the latter is set to 00 your song will loop from that point after your last pattern played. if you set it to 02 and remove the BXX commands from the patterns it should play in loop using the default XM-method. pattern command BXX (like in your song) overrides the default loop-point. you can either remove all the BXX commands, shrink the patterns to fit with the notes and put a 02 in the REPEAT field (upper left) OR... replace all BXX commands with D00 except for the last one, which is the elegant way. sort of. pattern-order 2 does not need a break command in the end. tip: those pattern-effects are needed only once per pattern. i don't know if this helps and i can't help you with fmod, but i think fmod could be confused with your break-commands and/or unusual pattern length.

a9642

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 20:35:03 »

Thanks for the advice, and for introducing me to some of those features. Unfortunately FMOD does not honor the repeat setting. For the moment, I've hacked together something that works by putting everything that needs to repeat into one pattern with a very long length, and using E60 commands. It's a horrible setup, so I've kept the originals around for editing and showing others.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 04:13:20 »

I think FMOD has a flag for looping that you have to enable when loading the tune.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up