Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some more MilkyTracker n00b-questions...  (Read 17017 times)

Heretic

• New User
    • View Profile
Some more MilkyTracker n00b-questions...
« on: March 22, 2009, 15:02:31 »

Hi

I've started using MilkyTracker regularly on my Windows Mobile phone, but I have some questions:

1. I normally produce sample-based hip-hop, so a wave-editor is pretty essential to me. Does anyone know of a such (free) one for Windows Mobile?? Or does anyone have other tips that would make my beat-making process easier in MilkyTracker? I'm a tracker n00b...

2. How do I use effects in MilkyTracker? I'm specifically talking about EQ, compression, and reverb. Please explain it very "logically" as I'm new to trackers...

3. I found a three- and ten-band EQ in the Advanced menu in the Sample Editor, but each time I EQ a sample (no. 1), and I then go into the EQ menu for ANOTHER sample (no. 2), it shows the same setting (that I just set for no. 1). Does that mean that when I use that EQ function it does it on ALL samples?? Or shouldn't I worry about this...???

Hope y'all understand my English :-)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: Some more MilkyTracker n00b-questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 21:39:49 »

2. That kind of effects simply don't exist in Milky because it mimics another application from the DOS era. Back then your average computer wasn't powerful enough to process such effects in real-time. There's only the sample editor EQ you mention in question 3.

3. The EQ retains the previous setting just so you CAN apply the same effect on multiple samples if you choose to. It only operates on one sample at a time, and it does so destructively meaning when you apply the EQ setting, that's your new sample then. For example you can't go back to the original sample by setting the EQ parameters to 0.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 21:45:49 by raina »

Heretic

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 22:12:03 »

Okay, thanks for clarifying those things... I'm pretty surprised though that MilkyTracker doesn't have effects... The DOS app you're talking about is FastTracker II, right? Cus I was sure I remembered it had like 9 effects that you put on next to the sample number in the patterns (I once had FT2 installed on my hdd way back in the day :))... but guess not :)

thanx though :)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 02:16:34 »

Fasttracker II, that is correct, and both have those effect commands you remember, but they're not DSP effects like the ones you mentioned. Refer to the manual for the available effect commands. We can only play samples and modify their playback in 3 dimensions: speed, volume and panning.

niNja_pWn3d

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 20:50:46 »

So in the case that i want to apply a dsp effect.. and say i have a program such as sound forge7, for example, and seeing as u can choose the bitrate.. can't i just apply effects and make .wav.. having said this is there a program to convert this .wav to a useable milky format.. just something that poped in my head as im reading this thread as i am also a hip hop producer, sorta new to trackers, but LOVE the 2nd gen way of tracking and just tracking in general. =D

[niNja_pWn3d]  :evil:

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 23:03:33 »

.WAV is perfectly usable in Milky. So, sure, you can do that and use the wave file as a sample in Milky.

niNja_pWn3d

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 16:20:53 »

nice! a way around it =D

niNja_pWn3d

bC

• New User
  • Romantisch tanzen im Mienenfeld...
    • View Profile
    • burningCHROME - Official Myspace-profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 16:52:31 »

By playing around in the Instrument editor with sustain points and lop you can emulate kind of echo/reverb/chorus effects.
The Hunter must hunt!
For otherwise, he will become the hunted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up