Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XM to MOD... help needed!  (Read 7313 times)

stomp224

• New User
    • View Profile
XM to MOD... help needed!
« on: March 23, 2010, 18:18:59 »

Hi,
I apologise if this is covered in a tutorial, or forum post I have overlooked, but I haven't been able to find an answer and hoped you guys could help.

I am working on some music that has to be tracked and delivered in .mod  format. although I have worked in Milky/XM before and experienced no problems at all,but Im finding the conversion a bit of a nightmare. :(

I've converted all my samples down to the required formats for .MOD (8-bit, less than 128k, etc.) and encountered some other issues! I will list them below:

I found my musical parts transposed down half a step after saving/loading as .mod. E5 becomes Dsharp5 for example. Percussion parts/channels are unaffected by this.

My 'Note-off' commands are being converted into notes (B7s)

After loading, everything sounds 1 8ve lower.

BPM resets to 125 on loading.

I am aware that there are big differences in the formats, but haven't been able to find a clear reason and appropriate fix for my issues.

I apologise if these are fairly obvious answers, but its driving me mad! I just want my .mod to work as intended!

(using latest DL [January?] of Milky on Mac OSX 10.5, My samples are 8-bit, with an SR of 22.5KHz, Milky project settings match this., if it helps)

Please help!  ???

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: XM to MOD... help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 19:45:00 »

I found my musical parts transposed down half a step after saving/loading as .mod. E5 becomes Dsharp5 for example. Percussion parts/channels are unaffected by this.
After loading, everything sounds 1 8ve lower.
MOD doesn't have the relative note setting, so the relative note will always be C-4.

My 'Note-off' commands are being converted into notes
use the C00 effect instead.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:26:14 »

To expand on Saga's reply:

You can only use octaves 3-5 and indeed the samples' relative note has to always be C-4. If this makes your notes sound too high/low, you have to resample your samples up or down in the sample editor. (Or re-record or re-generate them outside the tracker.)

As note-offs don't exist in MOD, you'll need to kill or attenuate your notes using volume commands, like C00.

There's no place in a MOD to save the BPM value, so you have to enter it as an Fxx command. Values 20 and up (in hex) will set the BPM instead of Spd. Calculate/convert the value you want or get it by trial and error.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:28:00 by raina »

stomp224

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:14:00 »

Ah, thank you very much. I found a few of these via trail and error, mostly error! :)

With the BPM value - Do I have to enter thing on the first line of each pattern, or only once?

Thanks again for both your answers, it is a tricky format to write in, but highly rewarding! :)

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 13:38:24 »

Entering the BPM once on the first pattern will do fine, and should one want adjust it in a player afterwards (for whatever reason), it won't reset on every pattern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up