Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum mode  (Read 5239 times)

Bp103

• New User
    • View Profile
Drum mode
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:39 »

My idea is a drum mode where you could bind samples to keys on a octave (also would have to set the pitch for the samples bind on a key so it wont sound weird) so it would kinda be like channel 10 in midi.

Also being able to bind instructions to the key with sample like 290 or 190 or whatever.

Example would be the sample "1" with the instruction "290" at volume "20" pitch "F-6" is binded to key "q" it would output "F-6.120290" at cursor when "q" is pressed if drum mode is active.

It would require no modification to the xm format since its just like going to that sample and pressing the button and putting in all the stuff by hand.

It would make drumming much more easy. For me anyway.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Drum mode
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 18:41:16 »

Err. The XM format has a sample map per instrument, so that you can bind a sample to every note of the instrument. Isn't that what you want? Unlike the IT format, you can't change the relative note of each sample, though, so you would have to transpose your samples up and down to make them sound "right".
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 00:28:43 »

Saga's right, each instrument can hold 16 samples which can be mapped to different notes. They can be different pitch samples of a melodic instrument to give it more natural sound or they can indeed be a drumkit. Or anything, naturally.

The macro key bindings in the FT2 edit mode sort of go in the way you propose with the "drum mode" but it's not exactly the same thing. Your idea isn't bad but I think it would require a lot of support from the community to get it implemented. I know joule, for one, is a big fan of automating things. :)

Bp103

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 23:26:34 »

My idea was really to do the same thing but with instructions and snips and chunks of pattern.

(I'm bad at explaining my ideas. :P)

It would really come in handy when making a chiptune only using 2 samples (square & noise) like most of the songs I make. Sure I can keep putting them in by hand but that drains my motivation fairly quick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up