Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requesting some beginner help!  (Read 7105 times)

Neophyte

• New User
    • View Profile
Requesting some beginner help!
« on: April 06, 2010, 00:18:48 »

I just realised i got alot of free time and i want to learn making chiptunes, i've youtubed alot but there's 1 problem i cannot get past, putting my own sample creations on the playing line

I've pressed every button and clicked everything i cannot get it working lol.

kindly regards//
Neophyte

TraumFlug

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting some beginner help!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:41 »

wtf...? now that is one basic question...!!??

have you tried your keyboard? hit the "rec" button so it's red, and you'll see your keyboard represents a piano with white keys from "q" to "p" and the black ones in the number line above...the 2 lines of keys below are one octave below...select octave with "F1" to "F8", or "flip" the bpm..spd..add thing and edit "oct"...

and, rtfm, there's documents that state that.

if you still prefer clicking a piano with the mouse, hit "Ins.Ed." and the "play" button left of the piano. when rec. is on, you can enter notes with it, when not, you can just jam around for testing (also with the keyboard in front of your pc).

Neophyte

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:50 »

Ya thanks thats working as a start, but i have made my own samples also and how do i insert them into the line. because the keyboard tones are just one simple tone. i have made alot of samples hehe wanted to use them.

TraumFlug

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 18:45:25 »

maybe you haven't really understood how trackers work, yet?

of course you can insert your samples with those note input methods! it's the only way to use samples in trackers, insert them as a note. the pitch of the note is the playback speed. you can't just insert a sample like in a sample editor or some music maker toy, it's an oldschool tracker.

make sure you have the instrument selected that features your sample. it works like this: you have 16 sample slots per instrument. if you want to use a single sample for an instrument, put it to sample slot 0 and you can use it right away, by having that instrument selected.

if you want to use multiple samples for a single instrument, you can map the samples in the ins.ed. screen when edit instead of play is selected: you select the instrument, then one of the 16 sample slots it can hold, and if you click one key of the piano, that particular note will playback the sample you've got selected. handy for setting up single instrument drum-kits. as you will see any new instrument will have every possible key associated to sample number 0. note _every_ instrument has its own 16 sample slots.

Neophyte

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:01:52 »

oookaay..? so how do i know which instrument i have selected? or could you tell me which buttons to press to make it work as a begin and ill learn myself, i mean just the ones to make one of my own samples jump down to the line, i've done it so far so good hehehe.

for instance. you made a sample, what do you to put them down on the line. maybe you could post a picture of it :]?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:07:54 by Neophyte »

TraumFlug

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:25 »

I think there's no pic needed, text must suffice...would be hard to put that to an image or video, I guess   :-*

never mind the "hehe", I've got spare time, am bored & have lots patience naturally.  :angel:

have you dug the difference between "instruments" and "samples" yet? each "instrument" is a map of samples on a piano-keyboard. each instruments has 16 sample slots. so best is in the beginning, to use one sample per instrument, as sample "00". to select an instrument, or an sample just click the list "instruments" or "samples" on the top right of the screen. you'll see that instrument/sample line will be "lit" like instrumen "01" & sample "0" in the pic you gave.

so for a start create/load a sample in "samples"-slot "00" while "instruments"-slot "01" is selected. to select, just click the list. then hit the "rec" button, so it's red, move the "cursor" (the gap in the middle line of the tracks view, that is moving with the arrow keys) so it is at the first 3 dots of the 10 dots of any track collumn. hit the "q" key of your keyboard, and a note "c-5" with an "01" next to it (the instrument number) should appear. you now have done what you were asking for in the image in your first post, putting a note of instrument 01 to the first row of the first track, and the cursor jumps one row down. hit some other letter keys, or the number key row above the letters, and other notes than "c" will appear in the list.

unless you fiddled with the ins.ed. piano (it should be showing all zeroes when "edit" next to it is pressed), the notes should playback sample number "00" (of the samples list, when the instrument is selected) of that instrument. you can name your instruments & samples by right clicking the huge space next to their numbers, and entering some useful text there. try that with a sample, and then select another instrument. and then reselect the instrument that was selected when you entered the sample name, and you might get the idea ;)

if you "created" your samples in all the sample slots of instrument 01, you can move them to slot 00 of other instruments with the "copy/swap" buttons in the lower right corner of the in.ed. screen. bit hard to handle, but works...

but now my patience is gone, and instead I'm dreaming of a document, that explains the interface for people, who've never seen a tracker before, so over & out...

p.s. don't feel dumb, just fiddle around in the meantime, yes, the program is really hard to handle for people who don't already know it of fast tracker 2...  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up