Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I distribute songs that use VST instruments?  (Read 7054 times)

msdos622wasfun

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Erich's Blog and Digital Home
How do I distribute songs that use VST instruments?
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:00:15 »

Hi everyone.  I'm a new user here that wishes to contribute a song (in fact, it's my first ever "MOD" type of creation).  Please, please forgive me if this topic has already been covered before, but I searched for information on it, and I'm not sure how it's done.

Simply put, my .IT song that I created in OpenMPT uses a VST insrument plugin, but of course, that part won't play when I try to play my song in a media player that supports tracker-type files.  What exactly do I have to do to make it work?

I noticed that in the list of top ten mistakes to avoid, it says that you might have to distribute your song as an MP3 in addition to the original song file if it uses external sources such as VSTs.  Does The Mod Archive accept MP3 files?

Thanks for your help.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: How do I distribute songs that use VST instruments?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16:38 »

Mod Archive does not accept MP3 files, and also not songs that rely in VST instruments (afterall, none of the formats supported here have "official" VST support, that's just MPT's ugly file format hacks). I am working on a download site for songs made with OpenMPT which would also allow to host MPTM files with plugins, but until that's done, you'd have to host the files by yourself.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

msdos622wasfun

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 20:58:14 »

Understood, and thanks for responding.  So then would it be all right if I just mixed my song as an MP3, hosted it by myself, and then shared it with everyone in the "Look what I made" section of the forum?

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 21:26:24 »

Yeah, go for it :) I'd recommend soundcloud.com with a free account for hosting so that you don't ask users to click on risky looking free hosting file dump sites (if that is what you had in mind).
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

msdos622wasfun

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 22:05:59 »

Yeah, go for it :) I'd recommend soundcloud.com with a free account for hosting so that you don't ask users to click on risky looking free hosting file dump sites (if that is what you had in mind).

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check out SoundCloud and see if it suits my needs.  I've been using Dropbox, however, and I've never had a problem with it, plus it seems to be pretty reputable and safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up