Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commercial Use and Licenses  (Read 4085 times)

tcol4417

• New User
    • View Profile
Commercial Use and Licenses
« on: October 12, 2011, 18:34:44 »

Okay, a quick search of the forum has turned up a couple of people asking for contact details and one guy getting burned for just sticking a bunch of music into his game (serves him right), but now that there's the ability to browse by license, I'm compelled to confirm a few things before (possibly) making a similar mistake.

Given the Mod Archive's ability to browse by license type, right now I'm considering putting some of the Public Domain and Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC, BY 3.0) music into a game I'm currently writing with plans to sell on the app store.

After spending a frustrating amount of time trying to get a straight answer, hopefully I'll get one here:

Are works licensed under Public Domain and Att 3.0 okay to use (assuming I fulfill the req.s of Att 3.0 of course) without having to go to directly for the artist?  Because I've taken a look at a couple of profiles and some people haven't been in aaages.

I just want to clear this up before digging myself into a legal hole by pissing off any rightful owners.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Commercial Use and Licenses
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 19:07:11 »

For these licenses, you do not have to ask the artist beforehand (do so is a nice though, though, artists love seing their work being used somewhere!). As long as you credit them in your work, it should be ok.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 19:16:58 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up