Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another Tracker Module Decoder - MPPWC  (Read 60232 times)

Dege

• New User
    • View Profile
Yet another Tracker Module Decoder - MPPWC
« on: October 19, 2011, 19:47:28 »

Hi All,

Recently I revamped my ancient module player code and created a Winamp input plugin relying on it.

For more see: http://www.freeweb.hu/dege/

I would really appreciate for some reviewing of MPPWC.

Greets,
   Dege
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 21:09:07 by m0d »

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More
Re: appreciate for some reviewing of MPPWC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 21:08:40 »

I split and moved your post into the appropriate place, welcome aboard. I'm afraid your project is not big enough to warrant a dedicated forum of its own here at this point in time (this is in response to where you originally posted your post).

If you could post some more detail (similar to a press release) I might be able to write a news post as a feature.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 21:11:48 by m0d »
👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Dege

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Tracker Module Decoder - MPPWC
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 22:06:47 »

Oh, I must have misunderstood something. Thanks for moving my post into the right place.
I don't really want a dedicated forum. I just thought that all things related to coding players or decoders go into that thread. :rolleyes:

MPPWC is a tiny tracker module decoder input plugin for Winamp.
Supports the following formats:

Composer669 (.669),
Amiga Protracker (.mod)
Multitracker (.mtm)
Screamtracker 3 (.s3m)
Fasttracker 2 (.xm)
Impulser Tracker (.it)

including support of stereo samples, resonant filter and true seeking.

Substituting Winamp's built-in module decoder with mine wasn't my goal (altough I never liked it).
I've just revamped my old music player (which does not support tons of formats) and decided to publish it in the form of a Winamp plugin to see if somebody like it, I'm just curious how good it is.  :rolleyes:

Yes, I chose Winamp for the frontend GUI because it is well known and popular & easytouse, just didn't wanted to come out with a standalone player.

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 00:55:40 »

Hi Dege,
thank you for the great module plugin!

Is it possible to implement also the support for the Velvet Studio AMS files?

You can find some e.g. here:
http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Velvet%20Studio-0.html

It would be the only plugin that will exists to play this.

Thanks.
Lukas

Dege

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:33 »

Hi Lukas!

Altough I don't know Velvet Studio Tracker, according to a quick search it seems an oldschool one from the DOS era (and FT2-like).
Well, supporting it depends on whether it's compatible both in features and playing logic with the other classic ones (Pro-, Scream-, FastTracker). If it's well compatible and the file format description is available, so that it could be fit into the decoder relatively easily, I could support it, I think.

(But probably even that won't be enough. A lot of self-done reverse engineering needed for the other formats to explore the accurate playing logic, and it was very time consuming. So, the original tracker is also needed.)

I will have an extended look into it later.
But I don't know how much spare time I will have to deal with it, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:18:17 by Dege »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 14:16:30 »

Velvet Studio AMS is slightly more advanced than the "classic" 2nd-generation formats (XM/IT). The AMS format by its predecessor, Extreme's Tracker, is easier, but both formats are well documented, so implementing them isn't that complicated if you have dealt with IT/XM before.

It would be the only plugin that will exists to play this.
Not correct, libmodplug (and all plugins / players based on it) can "somehow" play Velvet Studio files (but with admittedly rather poor support), and its soon-to-be-done successor, libopenmpt supports Velvet Studio files rather well, and there will be plugins for a couple of players based on it, too.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 15:43:52 »

Velvet Studio AMS is slightly more advanced than the "classic" 2nd-generation formats (XM/IT). The AMS format by its predecessor, Extreme's Tracker, is easier, but both formats are well documented, so implementing them isn't that complicated if you have dealt with IT/XM before.
Not correct, libmodplug (and all plugins / players based on it) can "somehow" play Velvet Studio files (but with admittedly rather poor support), and its soon-to-be-done successor, libopenmpt supports Velvet Studio files rather well, and there will be plugins for a couple of players based on it, too.

Yes they exists but none of them can play at all (completely no sound) or don´t play correct way.

Yes, the AMS files are more advanced and I think better maybe the best of all modules, but there has never been much support for it.
Try my links to the archive of AMS files to play with that plugins you mentioned.. It will not play even on Velvet Studio itself.

The only player (tracker) that can play AMS partially well is Milky Tracker. I am not sure but also not everything I think it can play 100% well. And it is a little complicated don´t you think to use tracker for playing AMS files.  ;)

So I see the chance that the MPPWC once could be one and only plugin (player) which could play it well if Dege can implement it and maybe all other format which does exists - it will be great!, so it can at 100% replace all other plugins then.

libmodplug
I have ModPlug Player/Tracker, yes the player is good and at this time maybe the best for its large file support, but none of the files from the archive this player can play. Only Milky Tracker can play it. So probably libopenmpt also could not!

eLK
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 16:07:33 by eLK »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 18:10:56 »

I don't think I understand your post.You say that these files don't play in Velvet Studio? You must be using an old verison or something, because I know that I have used these files to test my own AMS routines in OpenMPT, and I know for a fact that e.g. Leinad's Happy Hamster Hop works correctly in Velvet Studio (in fact, I have rendered it to WAV using the provided WAV writer once). Milky Tracker didn't import some of the AMS files quite as well as OpenMPT, I think. OpenMPT internally converts AMS files to IT, which is a more powerful format than XM (which MilkyTrackers imports to) - OpenMPT can thus support things like "Vibrato envelopes" in AMS files, which MilkyTracker doesn't. That's just one example out of many which I can remember right now, it's been a while since I played around with the AMS format.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 19:35:43 »

I don't think I understand your post.You say that these files don't play in Velvet Studio? You must be using an old verison or something, because I know that I have used these files to test my own AMS routines in OpenMPT, and I know for a fact that e.g. Leinad's Happy Hamster Hop works correctly in Velvet Studio (in fact, I have rendered it to WAV using the provided WAV writer once). Milky Tracker didn't import some of the AMS files quite as well as OpenMPT, I think. OpenMPT internally converts AMS files to IT, which is a more powerful format than XM (which MilkyTrackers imports to) - OpenMPT can thus support things like "Vibrato envelopes" in AMS files, which MilkyTracker doesn't. That's just one example out of many which I can remember right now, it's been a while since I played around with the AMS format.

No, Velvet Studio plays everything, because it is originaly made on it. I am talking about ModPlug Player/Tracker which can import some of the AMS but not all - try e.g. cream in my bag.ams from the archive link I have write upper or nectar of devotion.ams. This AMS can be only played on Velvet Studio or Milky Tracker if I know - I don´t know any other. The MPP or MPT don´t play it.

eLK

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 19:47:07 »

I have also found this S3M which in not many players did play well.

http://files.exotica.org.uk/modland/?file=pub/modules/Screamtracker%203/Purple%20Motion/charts%20overdrive.s3m

It was because of very short lenght of the samples which are the separate simple waves. So if the player counted the lenght wrong just of a byte excess the song then play falsely. I know this did the old Winamp original MOD plugin as I remember. Now it seems it is corrected. MPPWC plays absolutely alright! (thumbs up Dege!)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 19:50:18 by eLK »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up