Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just About The Music  (Read 4376 times)

Tropylium

• New User
    • View Profile
Just About The Music
« on: August 29, 2012, 14:21:58 »

Well that's strange. First allegedly music forum I've been to, out of a whole bunch, that has this little actual music discussion at all... I mean, not even a requisite recommendations or Now Playing thred? (Or are they just hidden somewhere? I do know about the archive's favorites and reviews features)

Still surely there must be other people here who are interested in mods just for the music and not the retro-computing aspect? I've never created a piece of music in my life, I've never touched a C64 or Amiga or such, know just about nothing about coding, etc etc, and yet here I am. 8)

Related question #1: what other music do you people listen to? I'm a pretty huge fan of oldschool electronic music a la Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre (I remember seeing several MOD transcriptions of the latter's work back in the 90s); also ambient, several other strands of synth music, occasional bits of acoustic things like jazz fusion, post-rock. Over the last about two years I've been investigating the growing netlabel and chiptune scenes (which I guess did its part in me eventually registering here, too).

Related question #2: anyone have a list of mod-related album releases and the like? I've wound up with a small handful of CDs over the years (Bjørn Lynne's Revive kicks ass, in case this wasn't obvious to everyone by now; Xain's Born in the Stars also gets pretty regular rotation) and a few digital album releases, but it would be interesting to know how much there really are. Also I'm a regular at RateYourMusic and I'd love to add any that are missing from their database, should count for something on keeping the knowledge of the scene out there...

(Okay let's see if that'll do for starting up some discussion.)

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Just About The Music
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 23:13:57 »

anyone have a list of mod-related album releases and the like?

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the 2 albums by Jogeir Liljedahl, which both contains some of his modules done as studio tracks, ie. with real instruments and the Purple Motion CD which contains a few of his modules too.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Just About The Music
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:36 »

Related question #1: what other music do you people listen to?
Too much to list. In general: good music. 8) Many genres, including acid, house, trance, electro, synthpop, ... so yes, quite many electronic genres.

Related question #2: anyone have a list of mod-related album releases and the like?
A few of them, e.g. from Allister Brimble, Jogeir, ...
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up