Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the function of 'edit' mode within inst. edit  (Read 5116 times)

Dranorter

• New User
    • View Profile
What is the function of 'edit' mode within inst. edit
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:15 »

I have wondered for months now what the 'edit' mode is, where the keyboard switches to being labeled entirely with zeroes. Whenever I click on a key, whether or not it's in record mode, the piece switches to being 'modified' but I don't see anything change anywhere.

At first I was hoping these were fine-tunings which could be done on a key-by-key basis. I experiment with microtonal music sometimes (and have tables of calculated milkytracker fine-tunings for many scales, if anyone's interested).

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: What is the function of 'edit' mode within inst. edit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 13:23:52 »

Edit mode is to assign the correct sample to each note for multi-sample instruments. You can use this to fake micro tuning (by loading the same sample several times and detune each instance slightly), but it might be easier to use a tracker like OpenMPT, which has built-in tuning capabilities.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Dranorter

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 20:44:11 »

AH! Well that feature is good to know about in any case. I don't recall OpenMPT working well under Wine and I've been having a good time using MilkyTracker for microtuning nonetheless. I might actually switch over to that method of faking though, fine-tuning all the time limits what effects I can do. Thanks a bunch for the swift reply!

[fakeedit] Actually wow, openmpt works great in Wine! Maybe I should use it!

Dranorter

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 18:20:56 »

A different way of faking tuning is to recreate the sample at a different sample length for each key. So for example the interval I want is 1.0882, but the interval Milkytracker automatically adjusts notes by is something close to the semitone 1.0595. Therefore I should hand-adjust the note by 1.0595/1.0882 = 0.9736 (that's if I'm ascending, it's 1.0882/1.0595 = 1.0271 if I'm descending; shorter sample = higher pitch). Just multiply the sample size by this every time you go up (or down) by one interval. The resolution/accuracy of this will depend on sample size, since the most you can actually change the tuning by is 1 sample.

Any sample size over 269 will lead to higher-resolution than the built-in fine-tune. Which means, of course, that as you reduce sample size for higher notes you may hit that boundary and should switch over to the fine-tune method.

Of course there can only be 16 hand-tuned notes like this in a row. But it's still fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up