Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get rid of the Java Security Warnings when playing random modules?  (Read 12984 times)

wiivn

• New User
    • View Profile

How to get rid of the Java Security Warnings when playing random modules?

This window appears every 2 or so songs when the random player is changing songs. I'm with the latest java version and I tried the "Disable verification" option, but this annoying window still appears.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi

I don't think anybody recommends using the Java player because of inaccuracy reasons. You could get almost the same results by having XMPlay set to monitor your clipboard, hitting the Random Pick! link in the "Music..." navigation menu and using the right-click menu to copy the module's download link to the clipboard (where XMPlay will see it and play it). If you're interested and need any help with the setup, ask.

m0d

• Creator of Meow Meow Meow Kitty Song
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • Original Site Admin/Designer/Coder
    • View Profile
    • Science & Art - Eindhoven.space - RedHeat Music & More

I agree with raina, we need a new player which isn't Java and can load zipped modules, unfortunately that's a battle for another day.

For now. I have fixed the missing attribute in the manifest, signed the JAR and tested it.

Unfortunately, I can only self-sign which means due to Java's new security system (since January 2014) you will still need to add modarchive.org to your Java site exceptions list for it to continue working as they have made it impossible for self-signed JARs to run easily.

You will need to look into this guide on how to add the exception if you want to continue using the java app

http://www.java.com/en/download/exception_sitelist.jsp

Though I do fully endorse raina's suggestion and use XMPlay with clipboard link monitoring enabled (its in the XMplay options menu).

👨‍💻 Creator, Musician & HF Packet Radio Network Core
🎧 Discover great music via other member's special picks in the MFG
☕️ Get m0d a coffee via Ko-Fi.com
💬 IRC irc.rizon.net #modarchive
💬 Modarchive Discord

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!

We can probably get an emscripten (C++ to JavaScript) version of libopenmpt running, which would provide accurate results but probably eats up tons of CPU.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Bryd0

I had that same problem too, but even worse when Java got a new update, it was blocked automatically, because it didn't have a verified publisher. I got round that by adding this site as an exception via Configure Java like what m0d said. But yes, a new player would be great. Especially when for some modules, their playback can sometimes be garbled from it. For the idea of a new player, would a Flash one be any good?

And I'm quite interested in Raina's idea... could you tell us exactly how that can be done?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!

For the idea of a new player, would a Flash one be any good?
For starters, writing a completely new player would of course be a rather futile approach. Using something like emscripten or FlasCC to convert an existing library to JS/Flash is the way to go here. It has been done before, so it's feasible.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi

And I'm quite interested in Raina's idea... could you tell us exactly how that can be done?

Well, like m0d said, you have to open "Options and stuff" (F9 or via right-clicking the main window). In the Integration section, you can enable "Monitor clipboard for URLs." The modules in TMA come zipped, so you also need to have you xmp-zip plugin in check but that seems to come bundled with the player these days. Now you just need to have XMPlay running and whenever you copy a link ending in an extension XMPlay thinks belongs to it (according to the Associated filetypes in the same aforementioned options section), it'll try and play it. Additionally I have set "Default action" to "add to playlist" and "Play listed tracks" to "if not playing" for nice, uninterrupted playlist advancement.

Btw, m0d: I had a thought of writing a little random playlist requester in JavaScript. Would this kind of thing belong in the API key realm because it seems I'm getting precious little data in response to my AJAX requests (of index.php?request=view_random)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up