Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp3's use lots of space  (Read 4719 times)

Anonymous

• New User
    • View Profile
mp3's use lots of space
« on: May 28, 2014, 13:40:01 »

When I turned a song I made it into an mp3 or ogg, I checked 'properties'. It was like minimum 30 MB! And for some reason I can't upload it.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: mp3's use lots of space
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:48:13 »

If your song really is 30MB with standard lossy compression methods, it must be really long. MP3/Vorbis should be something closer to 1MB/minute, depending on the quality settings of course. MilkyTracker only renders uncompressed WAV, closer to 10MB/minute, and you need to use an external encoder to compress that for whatever your purpose is.

And where are you trying to upload? Your file might indeed be too big for some websites but if it's Mod Archive we're talking about, don't bother with a render, just upload the module.

Anonymous

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 15:32:58 »

Oh I found out why, when i was listening to an xm file with milky tracker, I liked the instruments, so I zapped the song, but not the instruments, and the song was like 40 MB long, so that may be why.

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:37 »

The file size or memory footprint of the .xm have no effect on the size of the .wav file rendered. Only the duration of the song and the chosen output frequency do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up