Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oktalizer bugs  (Read 6492 times)

theDESTROYER

• New User
    • View Profile
Oktalizer bugs
« on: November 11, 2014, 22:18:19 »

Hello there, i do tracks on oktalizer since '92, and i noticed that when i load em on milkytracker there are few importing bugs, all regarding the channel effects:

1 > it reads the volume changes only in the position they are writed..
inside oktalizer for example if i change the volume in 1 , the sample will following stay at volume 1 till another volume change parameter will be encountered.

2 > about the note change it doesn't works at all..

that parameter is changed with L (-) and H (+)

3> about the pitch slide it reads it but not how the oktalizer does , i think because when you work in 8-channels mode the oktalizer doesn't let you play samples at A#3 and B-3, that are available only in 4-channels mode.

that parameter is changed with D (-) and U (+)

hope this informations can helps you to fix those bugs... milkytracker has the potential to be the best tracker with the amiga sound emulator on it!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:39:37 by Saga Musix »

rogue

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Oktalizer bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 13:55:44 »

I'd like to add that portamento up and down commands seem to be mixed in the loader code (src/milkyplay/LoaderOKT.cpp):

Code: [Select]
static void convertOKTEffects(mp_ubyte& eff, mp_ubyte& op)
{
        switch (eff)
        {
                case 00:
                        op = 0;
                        break;

case 01:        // porta down
                        eff = 0x02;
                        break;

case 02:        // porta up
                        eff = 0x01;
                        break;
They work the exact opposite as intended.

Also, arpeggio does not seem to work. The loader recognizes the arpeggio commands but these get lost somewhere as they are not visible in editor, nor handled by playback.

Keywords: oktalyzer

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 21:08:13 »

I'm not sure why the portamento commands are reversed, according to okt-form.txt they are correct - perhaps that document is wrong?

Regarding the arpeggio and other commands; MilkyPlay does interpret them (the player library that MilkyTracker uses), but they are removed when converted into the XM format for MilkyTracker.

The best way to improve MilkyTracker's handling of Oktalizer mods would be to decide which XM effects should be substituted for the various Oktalizer effect codes - if you want to try editing the code yourself, have a look at ExporterXM.cpp and submit a patch :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 21:24:00 by Deltafire »

rogue

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 16:39:58 »

I'm not sure why the portamento commands are reversed, according to okt-form.txt they are correct - perhaps that document is wrong?

Regarding the arpeggio and other commands; MilkyPlay does interpret them (the player library that MilkyTracker uses), but they are removed when converted into the XM format for MilkyTracker.

The best way to improve MilkyTracker's handling of Oktalizer mods would be to decide which XM effects should be substituted for the various Oktalizer effect codes - if you want to try editing the code yourself, have a look at ExporterXM.cpp and submit a patch :)

The Oktalyzer format document is correct, but highly misleading.
Code: [Select]
1  Portamento down: decrease period of current sample by 'data',
                     once every 50Hz clock tick.
 2  Portamento up:   increase period of current sample by 'data',
                     once every 50Hz clock tick.
Portamento down == decrease period == increase pitch. Protracker et al call this command "slide up", hence the confusion.

Oktalyzer seems to have three different arpeggio commands. I may take a closer look at the code but don't hold your breath. :)

Deltafire

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 19:53:25 »

The reversed portamento effects have been fixed in commit 851c23.
Pages: [1]   Go Up