Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with hand drawn samples  (Read 4703 times)

penultimatedoomguy

• New User
    • View Profile
Help with hand drawn samples
« on: January 28, 2016, 16:52:15 »

Hi, I need help in how to create unique samples in MilkyTracker, especially with size 32 ones like the ones used by the PC Engine console.  I know how to draw and generate them, but I cannot find some really unique sounds using the limitations (32 size and forward only).  To get an idea of what I'm talking about, take a look at this:youtube.com/watch?v=SDKHAO0ifyY and this:https://pcedev.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/some-pce-sample-rips/

joule

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Help with hand drawn samples
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:16 »

My belief is that you will need to involve some maths if you want to easily get more elaborate "timbres" out from simple waveforms. The reason for this is that you would want to include some SENSIBLE overtones, for example fifths.

I would use the handdrawing approach by first handdrawing the base "timbre", and then mix pasting that sample at a natural ratio with lower volume. This can be done in Milkytracker by mix-pasting differently sized samples. Check results and modify. Become familiar with the results of this technique.

Personally, I haven't used this technique a lot since I'm used to just handddraw, but I really should get more into it. Adding a tad of fifth is never bad.. :)

Another thing to add to your repertoir is simple zero-padding or PWM-like drawing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:17:52 by joule »
Pages: [1]   Go Up