Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a module sound better across different setups  (Read 3958 times)

ModTomIT

• New User
    • View Profile
Making a module sound better across different setups
« on: July 16, 2016, 15:28:18 »

Hi, when making modules I've noticed that some .ITs I make sound pretty consistent across different speaker setups, and that some of my modules sound absolutely horrid on some speaker setups, but pretty decent on others. It's jarring to get in a car to listen to the latest song you've made and discover it sounds really bad. Now of course some speaker setups are really bad in and of themselves, but some of the bad ones I've played them on still play other modules well. I was wondering, if anyone had some tips on how to make modules more "universal" or consistent across audio setups, so someone won't listen on one pair of speakers and say "This is really badly produced" when they could listen on another pair and would say "this sounds decent"?

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Making a module sound better across different setups
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 16:42:20 »

There are many factors to a good mix, but two of the most important ones are probably consistent volume levels and frequency ranges. Especially if you have several instruments fighting for the same frequency range, you either have to somehow separate them (e.g. through panning) or properly EQing your samples.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up