Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MilkyTracker V2 (Redesign)  (Read 6738 times)

Peekofwar

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Peekofwar's Website
MilkyTracker V2 (Redesign)
« on: January 03, 2017, 22:37:10 »

I'd love to see a MilkyTracker V2 (Redesign). I think that the current layout is a bit jumbled. It confuses you at first.

First off, it would be nice to have the "File", "Edit", et cetera where we can easily find functions like 'Export' (known as "record" currently). I had to ask how to export because I didn't see any obvious button.

Next, I think that some overall layout could be improved. I completely missed the "Scale" option when I was trying to optimize it for my television, and the resolution just resizes the boarder...

Also, why of all things is Caps Lock the 'sample stop marker' hotkey? Can right-clicking in the notes area bring up a menu that lists the different music functions and hotkeys?

Also note that the background behind the credits is bad contrast with the font. I think the credits box could be improved to display the image, then cut to (at least mostly) black and have the credits roll vertically.

Basically what I am talking about would be a modern redesign.

I still don't know how to curve notes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 00:31:30 by Peekofwar »

raina

• Milkytracker Moderator
  • Great Poster
    • View Profile
    • raina.kapsi.fi
Re: MilkyTracker V2 (Redesign)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:15:22 »

The compact/cramped UI is a leftover from adapting a 640x400 early 90s DOS program to early 2000s pocket computers sporting 320x240 touch screens which explains many of the compromises that have been made. The desktop versions came as a bonus from multi-platform development approach with a very limited baseline, which is why the app is pretty self-contained and you don't see much OS native stuff.

Adding, moving and relabeling buttons is doable but while I wouldn't mind a more dynamic UI myself, I just don't see it happening without a separate project or a massive influx of talented and driven front-end developers willing to work on by-definition obsolete software to the current one. Note that even 1 person would qualify as a massive influx at this point.

Why Caps-Lock? Because that's what it always was, see the documentation for alternatives by searching for "Enter key-off". I'm a "The key right of LShift" guy myself but also a guy not opposed to fully customizeable keyboard bindings.

Yeah, a modern redesign. Wouldn't that be something.

I still don't know how to curve notes.

If by curve you mean portamento, start here: http://milkytracker.titandemo.org/docs/MilkyTracker.html#fx1xx

borrougagnou

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:44 »

MilkyTracker is fine as it is.

please never change it.

After me and, I think too many people use this software, don't happy for the "new redesign",
and "new redesign" = difficult for find this or this, etc..

Peekofwar

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Peekofwar's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 18:34:58 »

MilkyTracker is fine as it is.

please never change it.

After me and, I think too many people use this software, don't happy for the "new redesign",
and "new redesign" = difficult for find this or this, etc..
That's where a legacy version comes into the picture, so that you don't have to be confused.
Pages: [1]   Go Up