Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is remixing plagarism?  (Read 3552 times)

Kinnikinnick0718

• New User
    • View Profile
Is remixing plagarism?
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:05 »

So recently I made a swing sort of jazzy remix of this song: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=165744
However, I got called out on it by Yomaru Kasuga, since it's plagarism, he says.

Now is that actually true? Because I thought remixing was essentially remaking something in your own way.
Please tell me that this doesn't have anything to do with Article 13. I live in Europe.

Although, now that I think of it, Yomaru Kasuga himself does mostly MIDI conversions and slaps samples from "BRANDS" to hide that, so it's kind of ironic...

Also, I know this is different, but is taking the melody from another module and reversing it also plagarism or is it like creative sampling?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:33:27 by Kinnikinnick0718 »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
Re: Is remixing plagarism?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:55:24 »

Yomaru Kasuga: Stop calling out people. Having uploaded dozens of MIDI conversions yourself and claiming them as your own works, you are the last person who has the right to do so.

Kinnikinnick0718: No, remixing is generally not plagiarism. Whether it is is all about context, such as properly and clearly giving credits to the original author and stating that it is a remix. On the other hand, some people seem to think that simply taking a module and exchanging the samples for "better fitting" ones (or worse ones, like ST-01 ;D) is a remix, but in my eyes it isn't. I think it is completely okay to do something like this as long as you keep it to yourself, i.e. don't spread it on the internet. Exchanging samples in an existing module is zero effort and hardly remix work.
Don't listen to Yomaru Kasuga.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Asdfguy86

• New User
  • I do stuff like making music and circuit bending
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 20:53:56 »

I also recommend not listening to Yomaru, his comments are very hard to understand and usually don't make any sense. Sometimes, it seemd as if he rates modules from what the title is and the samples used, instead of the actual composition. +1 to Saga for pointing out that YK has uploaded a lot of MIDI imports himself, further invalidating his remarks.

Nikku4211

• Rising Star
  • Also known as Nikku4212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:18:20 »

I will also say generally not to listen to YK.
Even if he is the only person reviewing your modules, do not listen to him, as this guy previously gave an extreme 1/10 to a module due to falsely thinking it was glitchy.

Not that you'd be able to understand anything he's saying anyway. His reviews are way more like a objective description of the module than an actual comment on it, though this may be due to mistranslation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up