Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make MIDI keyboard work with FastTracker 2 in MS-DOS (7.10)?  (Read 4616 times)

RegTheEvil

• New User
    • View Profile

I am using FastTracker 2 (version 2.10c) with my Retro-PC Compaq Presario SR1100SF and I am trying to make my M-Audio Oxygen 88 MIDI keyboard work with it. I am using YMF724F-V PCI sound card.

I don't know how to set it up. I have midi-gameport cable inserted between sound card and MIDI keyboard and I have successfully been able to play and record music with XG Works in WIN98SE. I have also been able to use my MIDI keyboard with AdLib Tracker 2 (version 2.3.52) but it seems record mode is not supported (this appears to be a limitation of AT2 and MIDI support is also removed in the later versions) but in this version I can hear the sound when I press keys from MIDI keyboard. INI -file had to be edited first to allow MPU-401 to be supported in AT2. I added port 330 and then it worked. It used UART mode. I have also tested Doom and used sound setup to enable General MIDI and music worked great using my Yamaha DD-65 drums audio output with midi-gameport cable for this test.

But I can't figure out how to setup FT2 for my MIDI keyboard in DOS mode (7.10) or Windows (98SE). I have tried both. Could my system be incompatible with FT2? Do I need an ISA sound card or MPU-401 ISA expansion card? If I do that would be a problem since my motherboard has no ISA slots.

Or is there something I need to enable in FT2 to make my MIDI keyboard work? I didn't find anything in the manual and tried some settings in the FT2 program but my MIDI keyboard just remained silent. I couldn't hear anything while enabling or disabling "Instrument MIDI enable" under "I.E.Ext.".

Or maybe my mpu-401 interface does not work with FT2? (I just ordered Aureal Vortex PCI sound card and it should arrive soon so I can also test If I can get my MIDI keyboard work with that instead.)

I also tried version 2.09 before with similar results.

Help is greatly needed!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!

Note that I.E.Ext only contains stuff for sending MIDI, while I understand that you want to receive MIDI. Just to be sure, did you review all MIDI-related settings in the Miscellanous config options?
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

RegTheEvil

• New User
    • View Profile

This is what Olav Sørensen (the maker of FT2 version 2.10c) told me when I asked about getting MIDI keyboard to work with FT2.

"As far as I know, MIDI in FT2 will only work with original Sound Blaster cards or Gravis Ultrasound."

In "miscelaneous" I did the following...MIDI Enable ticked, Record MIDI-chn. (All) ticked. Record transpose and record velocity ticked. Multichannel "keyjazz", Record keyrelease notes, Quantization 1/16, Allow MIDI-in program change all ticked. Is there something else that needs to be enabled? I also tried to make MIDI keyboard work connected through Aureal Vortex PCI sound card and no go with FT2 either and tested Doom2 with success again. Tested also MIDI keyboard with older version of AT2 and was able to make it work there as well. FT2 remains silent though.

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!

Given bubsy's comment it's quite possible that FT2 simply uses a different way of making use of the MIDI interface compared to those other programs. I only have GUS and SB currently installed in my retro machines so I cannot tell if other cards would work.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

RegTheEvil

• New User
    • View Profile

I even tried Throttle.exe (http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS) to try to make MIDI keyboard work with FT2. I managed to fix screwed up joysticks from Bubble Bobble and Golden Axe with Throttle. I thought I go ahead and give it a try with FT2 as well but no luck here. It seems I will either have to get a proper retro system some day in the future or just keep using Milky Tracker with my modern systems (Fedora and Windows 7) unless somebody points me to a solution that can be done with my current retro system. Thanks for all the help anyway! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up