Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question About Unreal Engine module playback  (Read 3273 times)

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
Question About Unreal Engine module playback
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:02:02 »

I had been wondering about this for a while. Older Unreal Engine 1 games such as Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament used MODs for their music. Is it known what module playback library was in use at that time, and if it was custom coded, is there any way to try it out outside of the games? I'm interested in knowing this because I have a bit of a fascination with module players and how they played back modules.

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Unreal Engine module playback
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:56:35 »

The format was .umx.

The music tracks in Unreal engine 1 games are all in UMX file formats. Basically, a umx file doesn't contain anything special except for the music track itself which was imported into this umx (this is not entirely true). So which music formats can be used to create umx files?

Games that use the earlier Unreal Engine builds (like Unreal, UT and Deus Ex) support Direct music (MID, MIDI and RMI) and Music Modules - usually shortened to "MOD", but not to be mistaken with a game mod! Modules can have different formats, like .s3m, .xm, .it, .mod.

The modules were easily rippable, but Modplug Player I think actually played the umx format directly. OpenMPT probably does as well.  I think the actual module was intact in the umx file, just that it used a umx header. Saga probably knows more...

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 18:38:08 »

The engine is called Galaxy Music System, the closest thing to trying it outside of games is probably Galaxy Music Player - but given that this release is several years older than the first Unreal Engine releases, it's probably not going to play things exactly the same way as in-game. UMX files are just continers, i.e. they contain the unmodified MOD, XM, S3M or IT files. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 on the other hand used a custom format, but is based on the same playback engine.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Slender

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 20:53:56 »

Thanks for the responses. :) I thought it was Galaxy because it was referenced in INI files, but wasn't quite sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up