Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a very old Mod.  (Read 2090 times)

Darmok72

• New User
    • View Profile
Looking for a very old Mod.
« on: July 27, 2020, 22:50:06 »

Hello all,

I recently posted on the English Amiga Board to see if someone could help me find a music track I have on cassette. Someone recommended I post here too just in case!

I can't remember where the music came from - only that I recorded it at a friends house in the late 80s.

https://youtu.be/7dyn4NHr4Ac

I've been listening through hours of clips on YouTube of Amiga Demos from around the same time period when I think this was recorded but so far no joy - even though the type of samples used seems to be from the era. I thought maybe a cracktro but it doesn't seem the sort of piece you would have on that?

Any thoughts most appreciated!

D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 22:52:07 by Darmok72 »

sherekhan

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a very old Mod.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:12:31 »

I have never heard that song before. However, I do recognize a number of the samples as originating from the original ST-01 sample disk for Soundtracker. These include Dreambells, Shamus, Monobass, Popsnare2 and Touch, samples which you will find in a lot of songs from that era.

Other instruments have me puzzled. There is a somewhat long cymbal crash in there, although possibly at a very low sampling rate, but it's hard to tell from the sound degradation. There are also some phasing synth sounds that I do not immediately recognize, but they appear to be rather simple. This could indicate that this song uses some instruments which are synthetic sounds rather than samples, which means we could be looking at something like a MED, Startrekker or Soundmon module, or some other format that uses synthetic sounds.

Musically, this song reminds me a lot of Crockets Theme by Jan Hammer. You will find a whole lot of attempts at covering this song in various Soundtracker modules. The song you posted could sound as if it started out as one of these attempts, and if not it is certainly heavily influenced by it.

I have done a quick scan of my Soundtracker, Protracker, Stratrekker, Oktalyzer and MED modules around 5 minutes using Foobar2000, as well as quickly perused some Soundmon modules, but I found nothing that sounds like this song.
Pages: [1]   Go Up