Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H8 Tracker 1.90 Tips-Techniques-Pitfalls...  (Read 588 times)

TalkOrBell

• Needs more Pie
  • Space Between Notes as Important as Notes Are...
    • View Profile
    • My Channel on Alonetone-
H8 Tracker 1.90 Tips-Techniques-Pitfalls...
« on: December 02, 2020, 04:28:06 »

Started messing with this tracker a few says ago so figured I'd be verbose about it...

This was last updated August 2001 so is pretty old and was also beta too...

But listening to the ONLY demo tune I said, "Hey, that sounds pretty good!" Well at least way better than the transistor sound chiptune kind...

Come to find it supported VSTs and the sound came from a couple of the MDA synths...

So I started loading up VSTs to see what it would do well the sound was pretty good and I liked the simplicity with a focus on VST automation right upfront...I mean you draw out your automation right there above the pattern view...

You can do it while it's playing the block and turn that segment parameter on-off or clear it as well as copy-paste to another parameter...Quick and fun there is a lack of clicky crud which is nice...

There is no render to WAV at all but I solved this by using Voxengo Recorder once you put it under one instrument it will be under any others so you just turn it up all the way on ALL instruments hit start & record your whole wreck...

A few gotchas for those who wish to try...
-This was a 2001 release so VST support very picky...I have tested probably 300-400 VSTs in the last couple days only a small percentage pass but I still have 200mb of plugs ready to pretty much make anything with...
-Auditioning some VSTs keys will stick on or off but once pattern is down pat play is perfect...
-can't get internal sampler to make any noise but VSTs take care of that problem and better too...PAAX is a good one to use for SF2 or AKAI, etc...
-This really likes GUI-less plugs like MDA stuff as it will integrate right into the parameters sector...GUI-ed plugs will launch out in their own window which cannot be minimized or hidden you just gotta slide 'em out to the side and they are all 'stay on top' mode...A minor annoyance...
-Graphic plugs will not intergrate knobs in the tracker you must use the GUI to make changes however the automation of all params is still like any other plug & once you draw your curves out the knobs-sliders start moving on your graphical plugin...
-You must keep DLLs in the plugins folder otherwise it cannot load them...It produces a registry entry that stores relative paths to the various folders so using sub-folders is a no-no...
-On VSTs best to shoot for OLD versions to test...I have Voxengo freebies from 2003-2005 for instance & they work fine...
-To test you put your bare DLL in the plugins folder then go up to plugins tab & load custom VST...If it loads then you must go to the -/+ menu right below the plugins tab & navigate to the loaded plugin on the right you must turn the knob 'up' to make plugin active...Some will crash doing this so delete the DLL & try another if that happens...If you got that far you should be able to hear the instrument by pounding the QWERTY keys...Now the final test is to make sure you are on the VSTs section then go up to plugins tab & choose 'delete plugin'...If you are lucky H8 won't crash & that plugin is a keeper for using however a hell-of-alot will fail this last test...So there will be alot of plugin deletion...
-Looking on the bright side it's the sound that counts and I find no problem with H8 on that note and I am probably one of the few in the galaxy using it at this moment...The Dev had some great ideas, and some not...

By the way there are a few plugs that somehow CAN be put in a sub-folder and work...Synth1 happened to be one but the vast majority of others won't open at all in a subfolder...

This isn't the easiest tracker to find but it's here-

http://www.maz-sound.de/archives/h8t190.zip

This can also be put into the wayback machine as well & comes back too-

https://web.archive.org/web/20160327071134/http://www.maz-sound.de/archives/h8t190.zip

I uploaded an image of what plugins have passed the tests on my machine. In event of numerous builds to choose from I chose the OLDEST for best luck for testing...There are alot more FX plugs I have to test as of yet...

https://i.ibb.co/PTXp8Gy/Plugs-So-Far.jpg

TalkOrBell

• Needs more Pie
    • View Profile
Re: H8 Tracker 1.90 Tips-Techniques-Pitfalls...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 17:29:34 »

Just tested EXPDigital's Delta Series & they all work in H8 fully...

They are very good plugs for ANY sequencer or DAW

Be sure to get the 'no installer' version

http://www.expdigital.co.uk/legacy2/freeware.htm

The G-Flux is quite good as well but NOT in H8 (crashes on deletion)...

TalkOrBell

• Needs more Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 19:41:18 »

Well, Just tested DiscoDSP HighLife and it functions perfect in H8...

Rather a milestone as sampler as it can sample a VST & freeze it converting the output to its own sample library, which can also be exported to SFZ...

So in H8 or any other sequencer you have a problem using then just freeze the plug in HighLife then you got same sound with less HP needed...

I already had this & search didn't help too much but might find it here-

https://www.vst4you.com/pages/vst%20instruments/highlife.html

Hopefully that's the freeware one...There was 1.4 then the R1-R3s were free not compatible with 1.4............ confusing times...

TalkOrBell

• Needs more Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 21:05:34 »

Well, I have amassed about a GB of VSTi-VST that can be used in H8 which I will soon be cross-testing in SKALE Tracker as I think SKALE is pretty cool as well...

I have sampler working in H8 must've done something wrong before...It accepts WAV or XI...The editor was unfinished but good enough to adjust some ADSR envelopes...

Adding VST FX is like a send buss & available to any VSTi or the sampler just by turning the knob 'UP' for on or leaving off...

The audition 'bug' with notes sticking/not playing appears to be DC offset related and the best VST I have found for it is 'Palancware DeDC' which is GUI-less and only has one setting and is pretty automatic...

DigitalFishPhones 'Normalizer' is another but has GUI always out there to deal with...

Right-Clicking on selections in pattern gives a context menu for some common func....There is also an interpolation command too but I have yet to figure out what system protocol it's using yet...It's like FT2 but got 4 digits so maybe more like ProTrekker?

Anybody got any ideas let me know...Release the intellect....
Pages: [1]   Go Up