Music Production > PC Players

Best XMPlayer-like player for Linux?

(1/2) > >>

kepalu:
Hi! I browsed this forum in order to find a good alternative for XMPlayer for Linux but couldn't find anything (lots of topics are outdated). All I need is this:
-good quality player for most of the module files (MOD, MO3, XM, S3M, IT)
-easy access to information of the file: description, list of instruments used etc.

Please help :)

Oh, PLEASE don't tell me to use WINE...

Saga Musix:
It's still very much a work-in-progress and many features are still missing, but this player aims to eventually become exactly what you want: https://github.com/HippoPlayer/HippoPlayer

Apart from that, I'm not really aware of anything that comes even close to XMPlay (so yes, I rather bear its UI bugs in Wine when I'm on Linux than using a lesser player...)

kepalu:
Hey, are you kidding me?  :o As far as the UI goes it's even better than XMPlay! I'm so surprised that such a player exists and there isn't that much awareness. I love how transparent all the track's informations are, it's exactly what I needed.

What do you think about quality of the sound? Does this player reproduce the sound accurately in your opinion? I still haven't play enough tracks to tell the difference between HippoPlayer and XMPlay.

Thanks a lot buddy! Cheers

Saga Musix:

--- Quote ---As far as the UI goes it's even better than XMPlay!
--- End quote ---
Be aware that it's in very early alpha stage, so many things may still change or be buggy. But yes, the UI is going to be much more flexible than XMPlay's.

--- Quote ---What do you think about quality of the sound? Does this player reproduce the sound accurately in your opinion?
--- End quote ---
The goal is to have accurate reproduction of many formats. libopenmpt is for example used for most module formats. I may be biased, but that means that module reproduction is practically on par with XMPlay, but with support for more formats. ;)

kepalu:

--- Quote from: Saga Musix on January 23, 2021, 14:36:11 ---Be aware that it's in very early alpha stage, so many things may still change or be buggy. But yes, the UI is going to be much more flexible than XMPlay's.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I can definitely see that. Let me tell you though, Linux users are in desperate need of having a good native MOD player. This one looks very promising and I really hope that all bugs and issues will be solved.

How did you find out about the existence of it, if I may ask?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version