Mod Archive Forums Mod Archive Forums
Advanced search  

News:

Please note: Your main modarchive.org account will not work here, you must create a forum account to post on the forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: \ = who's artist name?  (Read 3239 times)

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
\ = who's artist name?
« on: March 21, 2021, 18:39:38 »

Been going through some old mods trying to identify a load of .it files. Trying to search online for maybe someone who might have released them as .mp3 or on soundcloud or something.

Managed to find one of them by name which lead me to http://compo.toastyx.net/
Couldn't find anything about the compo's on Demozoo.

Now, the site seems vaguely familiar so I must have visited it before and grabbed all of them but god knows when tbh.

I was trying to track down entries by someone called \, well assuming that's their nickname. Then I came across your name mentioned on there Saga, so you must have entered some modules to the compo?

Never heard of the compo(s) myself, so I was quite surprised they could still be downloaded. Anything you could share about this site? Or shed any light on who \ was?

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
Re: \ = who's artist name?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 19:19:25 »

\ aka \Slash aka Surasshu aka Steven Velema. Game music composer and more recently scored Steven Universe with Aivi Tran.

He was always known as just \ or \slash in the tracker community.

The archive in question is one hour compos from espernet's #mod_shrine. It should be pretty exhaustive from the time period the archive is from, but unfortunately hundreds of them before 2006 (and apparently everything after 2014) weren't archived.

I still have my own tracks (240 compos entered mostly between 2003 and 2008), but I never kept the full votepacks around either.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 23:26:13 by Ceekayed »

Axxy

• Rising Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 15:07:37 »

Thanks CK...

I had previously visited this site way back whenever...

Seems strange that some of his modules were credited, but many more weren't, presumably being compo entries?

I was beginning to believe there was another Slash, ie. un-identified/un-credited. I have nearly 3 times more than even Modland has of his modules, so I'm assuming they don't know anything about the website, or even Demozoo about the compo entries....

Shame about missing archive from there too!

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 18:09:21 »

or even Demozoo about the compo entries....
One-hour compos are informal and happen infrequently on IRC. They don't really belong on Demozoo. Most songs coming out of OHCs are unfinished.

(and apparently everything after 2014) weren't archived.
Everything after that is on s3m.it - since all #mod_shrine / #modulez compos have been running on that site.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 18:15:24 by Saga Musix »
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker

Ceekayed

• TMA Moderator
  • Rising Star
    • View Profile
    • Ceekayed on Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 08:48:11 »

Seems strange that some of his modules were credited, but many more weren't, presumably being compo entries?

As Saga said, one hour compos are fully informal and the authors rarely "officially" release the tracks due to the fact that very few people are able to pull off anything they're satisfied with within an hour. If you want to collect one hour compo tracks, it's fine, but it would be somewhat ill-mannered to release the tracks publicly in behalf of the authors, which is why you will rarely find them from the bigger mod music archives, especially properly credited.

Everything after that is on s3m.it - since all #mod_shrine / #modulez compos have been running on that site.

Oh, looks like compos are still happening. Maybe I return one day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:50:08 by Ceekayed »

Saga Musix

• TMA Moderator
  • Top Poster
  • I love OpenMPT! And Modules! And TMA! And Pie! :>
    • View Profile
    • Saga Musix - free module music and more!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 19:32:42 »

Also, the fact that those OHC modules are rarely credited is due to OHC submissions typically being anonymous and the names are only revealed after everyone has voted.

Oh, looks like compos are still happening. Maybe I return one day.
21:00 CEST #modulez on EsperNet, you are very much welcome. :) A few people have made their return lately.
There's also typically a compo happening a few hours laters the same day (in the middle of the night for EU people) in #mod_shrine which is no longer limited to tracker formats only.
» My TMA artist profile
» Visit my music site: https://sagamusix.de/ [de, en]
» Visit my programming website: https://sagagames.de/ [de]
» Open ModPlug Tracker
Pages: [1]   Go Up