Community > Project / Coder's Corner

[Discussion] New module format - openModplug

<< < (10/10)

Aymes:
What about the front end? Is that similar to It or is it still MPT/windoze style? I never got on with that :(

Writing music should be like playing a game :D (imo anyway)

Saga Musix:
MPTM is just a module format, the native format of OpenMPT. OpenMPT is the open-source version of the original MPT. When Olivier Lapicque (the original author) didn't have time for MPT anymore, he released the sources, and so, some programmers decided to continue this project.

Aymes:
Yes, I did hear about all that - I use Schism which is one of those offshoots...

only complaint is that they've copied the interface of IT instead on building on it :S

Relabs:

--- Quote from: Eagle on July 30, 2007, 09:51:35 ---By the way, I didn't see anything mentioned earlier about it, but what are the new features of the MPTM format? :)

--- End quote ---
Compared to the 'highly extended' IT, it has extended pattern and order ranges(65000) and the tuning-feature - so 'new format' may give an impression that its something greater that it really is. What comes to the tuning-feature(which is still in experimental stage like the 'format'), it makes it possible to set the frequency of every 'note' individually without using lots of detuned samples or such - for example if one has midikeyboard, "note" for every key can be assigned individually. But indeed, this won't likely be a feature that interests that many people, but, who knows what one can find by experimenting :)

--- Quote from: Jojo on July 31, 2007, 14:45:56 ---i guess it can be useful in various music styles, not only oriental stuff... I can image using it for drumsets for example...
--- End quote ---

One feature that might be of interest when dealing with drumsets, is that the name of the note can be assigned individually for every 'note'. The set of characters than can be shown on the pattern screen is, though, quite limited, and the feature may contain other defects as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version